Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K Phase 3 Gear Shift T Handle

farmallnut · 2022-04-17 00:18

Gear shift T handle is weathered, split, cracked etc. I’m wanting to replace the clutch disconnect switch but this handle is a crusty rusted mess where it connects to the shift rod. Case shows the Tee handle NLA. Will the switch come out without removing handle? If so, I can use electrical tape to cover cracks. Thoughts appreciated.

Replies2
  1. #1edgephoto2022-04-17 10:57

    Electrical tape will never hold up and it will always make your hands sticky. You could use a large piece of heat shrink. Your best bet is to rebuild it. Use some PC7 epoxy. The stuff dries hard as a rock and you can sand and file it. It will fix it forever. I have used it on steering wheels and many in the classic car community use it for the same purpose. If you care you can paint it with some enamel but for a piece of equipment functional is probably all you care about. https://www.pcepoxy.com/products/permanent-repair/pc-7-paste-epoxy/

  2. #2farmallnut2022-04-17 14:25

    Fortunately was able to finally remove the “grip” and load the switch with contact cleaner. Switch now working. What a cluster.