I'm new here, so be nice. I just bought a Ford 550 TLB. It has had some use, but is in good shape - it has a rebuilt motor (2 hours) including a new crank. I have a problem though... The front end is really light. There are no counter weights mounted. Yesterday when I was unloading off the trailer the front end was off the trailer and I was steering with the individual brakes on the rear tires. Not the best way to introduce yourself to a new piece of machinery! Do you know how much weight is a good weight on the front end? I have the standard hoe and bucket, but on an incline the front end is a little too light. Also on the brakes... Like I mentioned I was steering with the brakes - more or less. My problem is the brakes are really soft. They hardly grab. I know the machine hasn't been used at all in the past 3-4 years, so I'm thinking they just need to be broken in. Am I right? Is there a way to inspect the brakes without removing them? I'm a little concerned that I'm going to get into trouble in the hill country around here. Any help? Thanks ahead of time!
You might want to contact the person you purchased the machine from, there's a possibility that when they built the engine that they had the front end off and left the counterweights off upon re-assembly. The parts pages show a 325 lb weight and 785 lb weights for the 550. The brakes are mechanical linkage, no power assist. If the pedal is going all the way to the floor, you might be able to adjust them. I don't think there's an internal adjustment for the brake packs in the rear axle, probably just have to adjust the linkage. Not real certain though, it's been years since I worked on one of those machines.