Phase 1 machine. Problem is, much of the time I have to stop the engine to change gears. I could probably get it in gear by forcing it, but not being one to grind gears, I just stop the engine instead. There isn't enough drag to try to pull the machine any, it just seems to me that the transmission input shaft is turning when it shouldn't be. Idle speed is correct and I have tried idling the engine even slower, but that didn't help. Machine is strong in both forward and reverse and the shuttle works as it should. Tractor has been like this a long time and I have no way of knowing when or how it started doing this. Fluid change in both the shuttle and transaxle, made no difference. Seems to be worse when warm. I'm thinking I should have a look in the shuttle and if nothing is found there, replace the torque converter. Thoughts anyone?
The problem you have is quite common with this model shuttle transmission. There is a belville washer used in the fwd clutch pack used to return the piston & free the plates. They break & pieces interlock, jamming up the pack & creating drag. This can only be repaired by overhauling the shuttle. :drinkup
yes alrman is right the belville spring/washer was a big issue with the borg warner power shuttle , i did mine with a couple of beer over one week end not the esiest job for a back yard mecanic but it was fun just keep evrything organise that was mine no wonder why she was not going foward
Did your machine scrape when changing gears before it got to the point of not moving forward? I ran my 580 nearly all day today and much of the time it shifted as it should. I never have a problem moving forward or reverse and I don't see how it could possibly be any stronger. Still, I think gonna take the shuttle apart soon. Thanks for the help guys!
I buy it like that so i dont know but it depent how the pices broke inside Simple test with transmiton on nutral and power shuttle on nutral look at the driveshaft. It sould move a bit but not verry fast i can take a video of mind for the comparasion
Appreciate the offer but that wouldn't change the fact that mine needs to come out.