Greetings members, I have what appears to be a mid-1970s 584CK forklift, 2 wheel drive with gas engine and 4 speed transmission with forward/reverse shuttle lever. It has a 21' mast. Would appreciate some guidance about how to identify which engine it has (159 or 188?), and source for full shop service manual. Only identification found is on the dash, Serial Number 5235109. This unit does not have urge to move forward or reverse until it warms up, then it has a solid drive motion in each direction (in 1st gear, but still sluggish in higher gears although I only use it in 1st gear). I have read that this need for warm up or converter fill is normal, but am curious why, and if this is how it worked when it was new? I have spent a lot of time searching on the web, but see no leads for Case 584CK forklift information. Thank you, rodeo man
From my web search, it's a Case 580 backhoe without the hoe and bucket. So no, it's not supposed to take 5 minutes to move. Do some search on the shuttle part of the transmission. On my Ford, it's a couple of clutch assemblies that give you forward and reverse. When the seals that are on the apply pistons get brittle, it takes a while for the oil to warm up and soften those so they work. Probably the same on your Case.