Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k will not start

rdavison39 ยท 2012-11-12 13:34

Hi friends - i need some help. I purchased this unit in October. It started fine when i bought it. I floated it up to my land where it sat for 4 weeks and when i went up this last weekend to give it a workout it would not start. It has full tank of gas and turns over strong but never catches. Almost like the fuel is not reaching the cyclinders. Any suggestions on where i should start troubleshooting? NOTE: One other piece of information that may (or may not be) relevant. I did remove the instrument (showing fuel, rpm, etc) panel pictured in the attachement (with red arrow) as some of the guages did not work and i was taking it home to see if i could repair. So the instrument panel was not connected when i tried starting the engine. At the time i didn't it mattered and so did not connect it back up but thinking about it now i should have just to eliminate that as a possibility. Anyone think this would cause the engine not to start? I would actually be relieved to find out that this is the cause but i suspect its something different (Backhoe is 3 drive away so not something i can whip out and try) Anyway, need some suggestions......thx in advance

Replies6
  1. #1trevor b2012-11-12 14:31

    ron looking at the picture of your dash you have a phase 1 machine trevor b

  2. #2bill onthehill2012-11-12 14:35

    You need power to the injector pump solenoid to let fuel get to the injectors. If you have the dash out how were you starting it?

  3. #3rdavison392012-11-12 14:43

    Just the middle console is out (the one with the 5 guages). The starter is still attached so i can still turnover the engine. You think the pump solenoid derives its power only if the dash is connected?

  4. #4bill onthehill2012-11-12 14:52

    I am far from a wiring guy but I would check with a test light to see if you are getting power to the solenoid on the pump. My 88 580K had been rigged and when I pulled all the panels out I got everything working light wise by replacing broken bulbs in headlights and eliminating the radio that was miswired. Been a few years since i was in there and what I remember is not real clear. Are you turning on the main switch on the left of the steering column? I had to replace the actuator knob on mine to get any lights to work. As for the starting I would check that you are getting fuel from the lift pump and go from there. I just replaced my lift pump this weekend. Replaced the filter that was missing on the line coming from the tank also.

  5. #5rdavison392012-11-12 20:02

    Thx Bill. Yes, main switch is on. Any directions on how to check if fuel is getting to the lift pump? (like where is the lift pump

  6. #6bill onthehill2012-11-12 20:25

    It is located down and to the left of the fuel filters. You can see it in this pic of mine right by the oil dipstick. The line coming up from below is the fuel coming from the tank. The one coming out up top is going to the fuel filters. Open the bango bolt right above the fuel filters and crank it a few turns. You should have fuel coming out this fitting. From there I usually crack one of the injector lines off the injector pump loose and crank till I get fuel.