Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K Won’t Start/Run

highwayghost ยท 2019-12-05 12:27

A neighbor out by my farm(an hour away) asked me to look at his 580K that won't start/run. It has not run for 2-3 years for this problem. Have not tried anything yet and have very limited info at this point. I am expecting to need the group on this one. I like to help others but hesitate again as I seem to live the old saying..."No good deed goes unpunished" What I have been told so far: The present owner bought it cheap, not running from another neighbor. Unknown what was done before the sale. It has been looked at by several others, after the sale, their knowledge and skill level is unknown. New fuel was added, shop rebuilt injectors installed, fuel at the injectors, will get smoke from the exhaust. Won't even fire/run on ether. The injector pump has not been messed with by the present owner. Has 6300+ hours on the meter and my opinion is in rough condition. I suspect it as a series 1 Have the printed shop manual. Serial tag is in place but I didn't get the # at my quick look on Tuesday. I know...Not a lot to go on...Hoping to get a day this weekend and will know more. My first plan of attack... Check the fuel quality and fuel filters, air cleaner and piping for intake blockages. Check pump shut off solenoid. Attempt to get fuel up to the injectors. Compression test the cylinders, Pop test the rebuilt injectors, Set valves if needed. Is there a screen/filter on the injector pump inlet? Thought I read something about that. Do you recommend anything else to look for? Thanks in advance! All help is appreciated! Hoping I don't end up married to this 'freebie'. Roger, Pittsburgh, PA

Replies6
  1. #1Pixie2019-12-05 13:47

    Mine had an in-line fuel filter where the line comes along out of the tank ( frame on mine). I added an electric pump and new filter cause there is a fuel pump that might have failed on the engine. New pump was cheap but I haven't bothered to put it on cause it runs

  2. #2alrman2019-12-05 16:28

    If smoke was coming from the exhaust, it was getting fuel. If it won't fire on ether, there is something definitely not right with it. You need to check compression & timing.

  3. #3highwayghost2019-12-05 17:16

    I have the compression check tools, hope to have the correct adapter. I was leaning towards compression as the issue also. Are you talking valve timing or pump timing. I understand that if someone messed with the pump(unknown) the injection timing can be off. Something I intend to check. Can it get out if valve timing if the engine has not been apart?

  4. #4JL Sargent2019-12-05 17:45

    alrman is on it. Check compression next if it won't fire on ether.

  5. #5alrman2019-12-06 01:00

    Pump timing will need to be checked if the pump has been played with. The valve timing can't change by itself - well it can, but not without creating problems of valves hitting pistons.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2019-12-06 07:43

    Depending on the inj. pump thats on it will determine my thinking.. RoosaMaster/Stanadyne it might have the checkball return connector that gets clogged & wont allow it to start.. remove to diagnose. CAV DPA/Delphi pump, they have a screen filter under the inlet nut.. Which ever it is, hold the throttle WIDE OPEN when cranking, MAKE SURE the shut off lever is in the RUN position & have the injector lines loose to bleed the air out. Good luck.