Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 loud engine

Clawed Backster ยท 2019-12-04 08:24

The engine in my old 555 seems really loud to me. I don't mean exhaust noise, but diesel clatter or knock. It is the 3 cylinder. I haven't had the machine very long, and don't know much about its history, except for the fact that it doesn't seem to have gotten much maintenance. The oil pressure is good, but I don't know what a normal sound level for one of these engines is. Can anyone else with a 555 chime in as to what theirs is like in this regard?

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-12-04 08:40

    The Perkins 3 cyl. is very "clattery" for lack of a better term. It could be your injector spray patterns are outta wack.. THAT'LL make 1 loud.. SO WONT pump to engine timing..{very loud} Look on the inj. pump mounting flange for the timing line.. its there.. It will correspond to some degree marks on the engine block.. now go to your service manual to find out what its supposed to be.. OR.. Take note at where it is NOW.. loosen the pump & turn it 1-2* on way or the other & LOCK IT BACK DOWN & start the engine.. DO NOT LOOSEN THE PUMP WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.!! or you'll end up w/ 2 halves of a pump.. The timing on the pump to engine is 0*.. or dam close to the 0* line.

  2. #2Clawed Backster2019-12-04 09:23

    OK, thanks. Engine seems to run good, though it doesn't have much power. I think it is only rated at 65 gross hp when new, so I don't really expect it to be a powerhouse. No telling how many hours it has on it. I don't know a lot about diesel engines, but I would assume that pump timing would have a similar effect as ignition timing on a gas engine?

  3. #3jimg9842019-12-04 10:04

    I have a 555A with the same engine in it,,It always had a rap noise noise with low rpms, had it checked 25 years ago at ford mechanic, hope it keeps rapping another 25 years,, mechanic said it just a natural sound on those engines, hope yours is the same thing

  4. #4Clawed Backster2019-12-04 11:34

    I drive a truck for a living, have been around diesel engines all of my life, and I have never been around one that makes this much racket. If it didn't have good oil pressure, I would be convinced that it is about to self destruct.

  5. #5Ronsii2019-12-04 20:02

    Our ford skip loader is the noisiest/clatteriest motor I have ever been around period!!! If I don't put in earplugs my ears will be ringing for a couple days after I run it

  6. #6Check Break2019-12-04 21:54

    Engine seems to run good, though it doesn't have much power. When you replaced the torque converter, did you use a high stall or a low stall. HS-s take a lot of rpm-s to make any motion. Ford 3cyl-s are very loud. That thing that looks like a muffler really isn't. There's a pipe at the bottom and a pipe at the top, both surrounded by a piece of sheet metal. No baffles. You'd have to make a video and post a link if you want an opinion based on your situation.

  7. #7berky2019-12-05 05:39

    Have owned 4 different Ford diesel backhoes over the years. They were all noisy. The design of the Ford motor is what I have been told by many is the culprit. Other than being obnoxious its just the nature of the beast.

  8. #8Clawed Backster2019-12-05 06:40

    It is a low stall converter, and I had thought about making a video, but sound is not always conveyed accurately on a video. Maybe I will make one this weekend.

  9. #9Vetech632019-12-05 07:10

    Those are what I call odd fire engines. The design of them makes them noisy and there isn't anything you can do to correct it. If the engine runs smoothe at a high rpm and isn't doing the puffing of different colors of smoke, your good.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2019-12-05 08:22

    U think the 3 cyl engine makes a bunch of racket..?? Have u ever been a mile away from a Merc. Benz 5 cyl.??!!! Odd firing for sure.. But like I said.. check the timing mark on the pump to the block.. if its a CAV DPA.. it;ll be 0*