Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580L hydraulic tank

jp1gt ยท 2019-12-18 14:15

I want to drain the hydraulic system and the plug at the bottom of the tank is welded to the tank. Any reason for this? I can not see anywhere else to drain the tank

Replies9
  1. #1jimg9842019-12-18 14:35

    may have to take a hose loose

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-12-18 18:26

    Welcome to HEF, jp1gt ! Where are you seeing it ? The drain plug is on the side of the tank, straight down from the sight glass. 7/8 hex on it.

  3. #3alrman2019-12-18 18:27

    If the drain plug is indeed "welded" in place you could easily suck the oil out using a pump or make a suck bucket .

  4. #4rickw2019-12-19 08:25

    Maybe welded to prevent vandalism....

  5. #5chas3572019-12-19 08:32

    when I tried to drain the hyd tank on my 580c I too thought the drain plug was welded so after a beer or three I realized it was just rusted amazing how beer improves your eye sight

  6. #6jp1gt2019-12-19 09:09

    Sorry, false alarm. Making a good impression on my first post. After closer inspection, someone ran into something and pushed the metal overlapping the tank and plug. I have a 580 super E and this tractor is new to me. It is actually a 570 XLT but the 580L has the same running gear, lots more of them around. I have replaced all of the other fluids, now the hydraulics.

  7. #7Tinkerer2019-12-19 12:26

    Your statement is confusing , to me anyway. Huge differences in a 570 XLT landscape unit and a 580SE TLB. 580L is similar to a 570XLT ?? Not a criticism but just curious as to what you meant.

  8. #8jp1gt2019-12-20 09:27

    I have all the books. The parts book covers 570XLT/580L Except for the gannon and the backhoe they are the same. By the way a friend that has some tractors did not know how to flush out the torque converter when replacing the fluid and filter for the transmission. I think it spells it out in the manual but works in any vehicle that has a torque converter. Without doing so you leave a lot of old fluid to mix with the new.

  9. #9Vetech632019-12-20 10:29

    I used to pick up suck buckets at the local bar.