Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B – Shifting from neutral into a gear

kjones95206 ยท 2019-12-18 19:01

I have a power shuttle transmission in my 580B. Even after fully depressing the clutch pedal, I can't put the transmission into gear from neutral without the gears grinding; I have to idle the engine way down to minimize the gear grinding. With a traditional clutch, after the depressing the clutch pedal, the pressure plate is released and stops to allow you to shift gears without gear grinding. Any thoughts about what may be wrong?

Replies22
  1. #1jimg9842019-12-18 22:05

    adjust linkage

  2. #2Mpat702020-02-25 19:39

    Hey did you figure out the fix? I have the exact same problem on my 580b.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2020-02-25 22:24

    You don't have a "clutch" with a power shuttle machine. Your pedal works a spool and drops the pressure on tranny so you can shift from 2nd to 3rd and 4th.

  4. #4Mpat702020-02-25 22:29

    I still have a clutch. I have 4 gears in stick shift and forward reverse shuttle on left of steering. 580ck model b with shuttle transmission

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2020-02-25 22:33

    Can you send me a photo of top of transmission under fuel tank

  6. #6Mpat702020-02-25 22:52

    Here ya go

  7. #7kjones952062020-02-26 10:23

    My backhoe has the "Power Shuttle" and Coy is correct about the "clutch" pedal. After freeing up some of the components and adjusting the linkage, I can shift gears without grinding.

  8. #8Mpat702020-02-26 10:56

    We do you mean about freeing up some components?

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-02-26 11:36

    This linkage.

  10. #10Mpat702020-02-26 11:45

    Thanks for the illustration. Do I'm guessing that "freeing up some components" is the same as adjusting the linkage?

  11. #11Tinkerer2020-02-26 11:58

    Not really. Linkage adjustment can only be done if the linkage is freely moving on all of the pivots. PB Blaster or it's equivalent on all pivot locations. Sometimes rust can be so bad the linkage has to be taken apart and wire brushed or sanded clean.

  12. #12Mpat702020-02-26 12:08

    Ok gotcha. Yes I have pressure washed the entire thing including underneath. I don't think it had ever been washed before. There was inches of grime building in some areas and joints were completely clogged. Thanks for the info.

  13. #13kjones952062020-02-26 13:07

    What Tinkerer said... there was enough rust to prohibit the linkage from moving smoothly. I couldn't effectively adjust the linkage without it moving freely, particularly the rollers.

  14. #14Tinkerer2020-02-26 15:07

    Go here for the shuttle drive you have. https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...3c4e501cdbd62a&sl=EN&currency=#epc::mr5656619 Hydro-static drive is a different parts book !

  15. #15Mpat702020-02-26 21:40

    Thanks for the info

  16. #16Mpat702020-02-26 21:42

    Anybody looking for a 350 engine

  17. #17Mpat702020-02-26 21:52

    Ok now I got another yet another issue. I was bumping my start button to rotate the flywheel looking for tdc marks. Anyway, my button stopped working. I wired the button directly to the started and it worked fine. I'm not getting any juice my key switch? Is there a fuse I might have blown?

  18. #18Tinkerer2020-02-27 08:39

    What did you "wire the button to" ? The battery ? There is a neutral safety switch that may be causing the no start. Or the keyed switch is faulty. Could even be a problem with the wire between the key switch and the starter button.

  19. #19Mpat702020-02-27 08:59

    1. I hooked up two wires to the button. I took the two wires and touched them to the starter ground and power. Nothing happened. I pressed starter button and the engine turned over. So button is good. 2. Where is the neutral safety switch? 3. Wire between switch and starter button is good. 4. I'm not getting power to the switch for some reason? The wire between the starter and key switch checks out for continuity.

  20. #20Tinkerer2020-02-27 09:07

    It is not unusual for the wire that powers the ignition switch to develop an open circuit. The easy fix is to run a 12 gauge stranded wire from the battery post on the starter to the ignition switch.

  21. #21Mpat702020-02-27 09:14

    Thanks Tink I will try this. Has you dog ever started looking like your food?

  22. #22mahdis62020-12-12 21:28

    gladu had a picture!