I have a 580L that when I turn the key it clicks once. Then I gotta turn off & on the mater battery switch and I get another single click. Starter is new, battery is fully charger and it has good solid connections. I’ve had the floor hatch and the console hatch off and wiring looks intact with no wear spots anywhere Tonight while I was poking around I turned the key, got the click then, I heard a faint clicking from the block of relays. Not a sequence more random in timing and strength (loudness) of the clicks. Master off&on, turn the key, just the single click. Every 3rd or 4th or 5th time the shuttle interlock relay clicked. I swapped it for another and got the same results. I put the shuttle handle in forward, turned the key and the interlock is working property. No click, as it is supposed to do. Disengage the handle, I get the one click or the click & the faint relay clicking when the key is turned. Any ideas on what to check next? TYIA
So when a relay clicks, that means that the signal from whatever source was strong enough to make the contacts to come together in side the relay. What it does not tell you is whether or not the contacts are too weak to be able to transfer the big power from the positive coming into the relay, to send it out to probably the starter solenoid " S " terminal. Need to chech which wire coming into the relay is live either on it own or controlled by the key. There should be a large wire coming out that should be live when the relay clicks. If you can buy a schematic for the machine, it is well worth it. Starter being new means nothing. Have you tried jump starting the starter with power from the Solenoid large Red cable to the small " S " terminal on the starter. If it doesn't crank when doing this you have a bad starter or problem cables internally. Maybe someone else will chime in where specifically to check. Simon C
If you are hearing random clicking going on, my first thoughts are a bad earth - either a battery connection or in the wiring harness common ground. There is a neutral relay & starter relay, they work in series, with neutral relay allowing the starter relay to function. You need to check both those relays & the power supplying them.