Apologize if it’s hanging out there in plain sight. I googled couple days ago looking for belt replacement information. What I remember reading must have been inside another thread. Didn’t find much. I’m pretty sure Tinkerer was in on the conversation. Anyway, belt shredded on Saturday evening, pushing brush fires together. Hopefully i got lucky as I was back to the barn, turning the engine off when I saw the battery idiot light on! That’s new. Shut it off and opened the hood to find no belt, just a few shredded fibers (and not much at that). Went back to the display to check the coolant temp and that light was on now. Needle almost in the red. Monday, ordered the belt. Not in stock so probably Thursday. Today, I’m trying to separate the coupling from the crankshaft. Not simple or easy but no one said it would be. I’m trying not to scar the face of the crank pulley or ding up the coupler. Hopefully pulled that off. Have almost 1/2” of clearance at the present and would like to not go any further. If the gap gets too large for the bolts to pull the coupler back in place…. another can of worms I would not know how to move it back. Main question is, do the rubber cushions surrounding the bolts in the coupler need to be replaced at this time. The one I had out appears ok but I don’t know what a new one would look like! Any thoughts? Any suggestions anywhere around this problem? One last item. There’s a ‘pin’ of sorts under the injection pump / behind the timing gear cover. What’s it’s purpose? Thanks for any suggestions. Mike
If those bushing were needing replacement they won't look "OK". The pin is for locating #1 cyl. on TDC.
Thank you for all the correct answers. The pin information is very nice to know (and hopefully never needs used). The cushions, had I looked, would have ordered with the belt. I was trying to be very careful not to damage the mating faces of the coupler. I was using a very small ball pein and large screwdrivers. Made one wedge shaped long bar to set in the hole made by the coupler tangs. Again, trying not to put enough force to damage the pump or crank. May try a small file tomorrow, looking for burrs. Now for an after-the-fact question Tinkerer! Do you remember explaining to someone the process to installing a new belt. That’s the information I was originally trying to access. I have another question but right now, can’t come up with it…refereeing three grandkids. Never had a better job or title! Thanks for very timely answers. Mike
Yes, I remember a couple of threads about the belt R&R. They weren't about an M but it is the same procedure. You can do some damage if you aren't careful, especially to the crankshaft pully. HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums
Five minute job & done. Joe H
Joe, I never considered the link belt as this is an eight groove serpentine belt. Couldn’t see how that would work. I just hope I have caused no damage to either the crank pulley or coupler by forcing the screwdriver between them. The next big event (after getting the belt around the crank pulley) is to draw the coupler back to the pulley. It doesn’t slide easily as some have suggested. Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions.
File didn’t find any burrs from hammering wedges / screwdrivers to separate the coupler. Now, if the belt shows up tomorrow, we’ll see how much it takes to install. Someone made a comment to fully install the belt before bolting the coupler back. I think I would have more room to maneuver hands and tools if the belt were loose. At least get the bolts started good.
You can't buy those rubber bushings separate from the pump coupling, they are supposed to be part of it. But, I have changed more than a few of those belts where those bushings were loose like that & I just put them back in - never really had a problem with them being that way. RE sliding back the coupling - You'll likely find it will just push back into place with a lever. If there is resistance, get someone to tap the other side using a long punch while using the lever.
My mistake, didn't know it was a flat belt. These are great on Vbelt installs though. Joe H
Alrman, you are correct that the coupler will move easier. Snug a couple of bolts, tap on the coupler…easy-peasy! It even opened back up very easy. “Now, why would he need to open the coupler again???” Because, he didn’t have the correct size belt! Pretty sure I will thread the belt on anything else as not doing so bit me hard. This belt had to be ordered. The one I needed that about 3” shorter, was in stock ! All’s well that ends well I suppose. Thanks for everyone’s input. I didn’t run it much but don’t think anything is hurt from the high coolant temperature or the beating around on the coupler.
Bootheal, How do you like your 580M? My series 1 has 900 hrs and has been a great machine. Last of era of simple non electronic machines.
Oh my, 900 hrs.!!!! That’s the machine I was looking for when I found this one. It started like as a rental machine then went to a plumber contractor. He retired and it came to me. It is an awesome machine. Not without issues but does so much heavy lifting around here. Needed new shoes and serviced right out of the gate. I knew nothing about a machine like this starting out and still don’t know much as you can pickup by the questions I ask these poor souls on here. Learning curve was steep in places. Always wish I had done more research on everything do but using advice from a nephew, he said, best thing for what you want to do is two stick / extendahoe / 4x4 and something else I can’t remember now. Machine was 8 to 10 miles from home so our first dance was the drive home. Cylinder seals / hoses / oil changes / fuel lift pump / new outrigger pads / exhaust manifold, pipe and muffler…..I better stop with the list - it sounds expensive (it is!). Have probably removed 50+ trees. Buried / replaced half a dozen culverts. Numerous brush fires pushed together. Buried cables and pipe around the place. Keep the gravel (another expense) smoothed out. Buried cows for various reasons - four in the same hole - lightning struck. Keep the thorn trees dug up (that’s what prompted the backhoe search). Placed riprap, some large enough to not fit a 2’ bucket. Removed the concrete footings from an old barn…. I should look back to see what was on the clock when I picked it up, maybe five years ago… need to look that up also. Early on, everything new to me, it seemed like it could flip on it’s side at the drop of a hat. Got use to swinging the hoe like a squirrel’s tail and made it feel so much better. Learned to respect and inspect trees a little closer before just barging in…reached your to knock a low hanging limb from a tree bothering scraper tractor - tree was hollow and rotten, came down on the hoe. Bad juju! Couple broken windows, window hinge….son used a chainsaw to get me out of the cab. Could have been a lot worse. Some things never change. All my education has been expensive. As dangerous as it is, I’m trying to get my grandkids use to the machine. One of the traits I wanted in the machine was that it could probably be around for their use. I’ve got a couple that have potential. I can only imagine what I would have broken or torn up if we would have had a machine like this at home… I’m so far off the original question we will never make it back…I’m sure eventually I will have this thing on it’s side. That will be a sad day. Hopefully, I won’t be too banged up to crawl out. It’s an awesome machine and a pleasure to run. I have to stop…just thought of a question I need to ask the knowledgeable folks on here…I hope your machine is doing you as well or better than this one has done for me/us. Super fond of this machine.
My 580 has a turbo, I have used the 4x4, and extend a hoe many times. Mine has the wobble sticks on the hoe. Only possible regret I did not get a cab. Wouldn't be without the machine.