Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580sk brakes

dixon700 ยท 2020-07-16 09:15

I lost my right brake, and I had no external leaks. So I dropped my transaxle and pulled the right axle tube. I can't see anything wrong. The friction disc is almost new at . 232" so I'm just going to replace all of the o-rings and scuff the piston and backing plate. Is there anything else I should worry about while I have it apart on the bench?

Replies24
  1. #1Honcho2020-07-16 13:11

    Did the brake piston go off? Or it is in its place.Do you use right oil in exile.

  2. #2dixon7002020-07-16 20:36

    I always ran a transaxle oil that met hytran ultra specs in the brakes and transaxle. All parts were in their place, but my right brake was leaking into the transaxle. My master cylinder went low, and I couldn't find any external leaks. It also would of been on the last owner of it was the proper oil in the transaxle because I'm just gonna be changing it now, just about to roll over 4k hours and it's due every 1000hrs.

  3. #3dixon7002020-07-19 10:35

    Well, I don't see anything worn and everything worked but the right brake, so I guess I'll replace the brake piston seals, then reinstall with fresh oil, after I finish repainting it, the top and bottom of the cab floor, and the back half of the frame. I'm probably gonna own this a long time, so I should try to make it last and clean it up.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2020-07-19 19:20

    Be sure and use hy-tran in brake master cylinders.

  5. #5dixon7002020-07-20 12:36

    I use a universal transaxle fluid that meets hy-tran specs in everything. At least it says it meets it on the label.

  6. #6dixon7002020-07-20 12:51

    Using permatex ultra black for sealing the back cover and axle tubes back on will be fine right?

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-07-20 13:13

    Should be OK. I like to let the RTV cure a while so it doesn't all get squeezed out when the parts are torqued down.

  8. #8dixon7002020-07-20 20:00

    The service manual says to use a case 2-part(I believe) sealant and I've always justujust ultra black for about everything, so that's why I asked. First time in a transaxle.

  9. #9mitch5042020-07-20 22:53

    What oil did you find that meets Hy-tran? I haven't found any, and I hate to drive 75 miles for Case. Oh, and does it meet the old Hy-tran, or the Hy-tran Ultra that a Super K calls for?

  10. #10dixon7002020-07-20 23:30

    Harvest king case transaxle oil from rural king. I'm pretty sure super k called for hytran plus, which was between hytran and hytran ultra, but I know it says it meets hy-tran and hytran plus, but I don't remember if it meets hy-tran ultra too. Im pretty sure it states meeting JD hyguard which always seems to be the high standard in hydraulic fluid. . I'm going to double check the label tomorrow.

  11. #11mitch5042020-07-20 23:50

    My owner's manual says Ultra, we have no Rural Kings here, and I wish we did.

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2020-07-21 07:08

    The two part primer and sealant that the service manual calls for has been discontinued. When I worked for Case we used a loctite 515 flange sealant, permatex has a good flange sealant also. Be sure and clean both surfaces with brake clean before applying sealant and wipe with a non lent cloth.

  13. #131466IH2020-07-21 07:56

    I would stay away from anything "off brand" call a local shell or chevron distributor. Look in the bottom of one of those rural king buckets when you empty it out. The oil comes pre contaminated

  14. #14dixon7002020-07-21 11:44

    pretty much every hydraulic oil I've used had the little bit of black dirt looking stuff in the bottom. Is there enough of a price difference on Shell's oil? Because the closest distributor is about the same distance as the case dealer. (60 miles). New Holland is going to have the same oil right? There's a new Holland ag dealer 12 miles away.

  15. #15dixon7002020-07-21 12:14

    It appears mastertran ultra is the new Holland equivalent. Gonna check with them and see if they have it in bulk and pricing.

  16. #16Tinkerer2020-07-21 13:17

    I have read on here that some members have been using Tractor Supply Premium. It is a 10w-30. HeavyEquipmentForums

  17. #171466IH2020-07-21 13:24

    The new holland oil is the same stuff

  18. #18dixon7002020-07-21 14:50

    New Holland dealer only had 2 pails of the mastertran and recommend this oil. It meets/exceeds the hytran ultra and is $40 cheaper per gallon. Hitting the like 5th local business and striking out on m16 bolts and 100r4 hydraulic suction hose...

  19. #19dixon7002020-07-21 17:11

    I meant $40 cheaper per pail.

  20. #201466IH2020-07-22 00:04

    Your new holland dealer is about like ours then if they only had 2 pails of oil, no bolts and no hose

  21. #21dixon7002020-07-22 09:24

    Well I should rephrase they had bolts, but they were $18 a piece because they had a new Holland part number.

  22. #22dixon7002020-07-22 09:25

    I think I'm gonna run that Warren oil when I get it back together. They had a large quantity of it, and their mechanic said he's ran it for years in everything and he's never had an issue.

  23. #23Tinkerer2020-07-24 11:48

    I have been using there oil in my trucks for some time now. It is Meets GM's Dexos requirements. Less than $3.00 a quart for 0W-20. It is sold with the name Cam2.

  24. #24Tinkerer2020-07-24 19:25

    I forgot to mention that the Cam2 is a full synthetic oil. That is why it is a good value for the money. IMHO.