Hey guys n gals. Last night I was going through a bunch of old posts about changing the Hydraulic fluid, what other fluids can be used then the Hy trans Ultra(which is none basically haha), and came across a few flushing procedures that are apparently used for a 580e. I was just curious if this process can be used to flush out a 1995 580SK, like I have, or if there is a better/different way to do things. I don't have water in my fluid or anything, but I really don't know when the last time was that all the fluid was changed, and I would like to put as much fresh fluid in the system that I can. Here's a few links I was reading. .
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this subject?
Here's my opinion, If the oil is not contaminated with water or metal - I would drain the hyd tank , change the filter, fill the oil. As much as you would like to change ALL the oil - I wouldn't go to all that extra trouble to get a few more gallons out.
Thanks very much for the reply. The reason I had wanted to change all of the oil, is just due to the the smell of it. It smells almost burnt, and I think back tot he days of when I had POS cars in my teenage years, and the tranny fluid smelled burnt, ya changed it! Any thoughts on that?
Whenever changing fluids it's obviously always a good idea to get it all out but doing that may be a challenge so one needs to take in consideration how important this is to do,i plan on flushing my 4500 out here soon when the weather warms up and i'll be taking a day to do it as i'll be retracting cyls etc,etc to ge it all out.
Hi all, interesting thread, caught my attention. I have the same machine with ex Government history // CaseCare from Queensland Rail // QR. There must be a mix of oil in my hydraulics because I have rebuilt twelve cylinders and topped up with Mobil Fluid 424. I am doing some work to check that all is well and plan to buy a Hy-Trans (need advice whether a 205L drum of this is the best as I want to change the transmission soon too) then I will empty out just as alrman said. My plan is to put as many cylinders closed as possible in a safe way (where the piston rod is full retracted) that might pull in a bit more oil, that I think is about all that can be done as alrman said. Here is a pic of the big dipper cylinder, and a 'spanner' I had to make to get that 1½" UNF bolt out, not too much grief please from those of you with a torque multiplier to do these jobs.