I am in the market for two backhoes which will be used to excavate clay. After excavating the clay I will be loading the clay into trucks. I know that ideally I'd probably want a wheel loader and an excavator but for my project but 2 backhoes is what i'm looking to start with. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking at Cat 416 models, Case 580 models and I was wondering what John Deere would be comparable to these and or if you all recommend maybe another machine. Thanks, Darren
I like the JD but if you ask 5 guys you'll get 5 different answers. JD, Case, Cat, Ford, JCB. Any 16,000 - 18,000 lb. backhoe can dig out clay with the right bucket and good teeth and any backhoe can load a truck.
The John Deere that would be comparable with the 416 and the 580, would be a 310. Their all good machines. I'm a Case guy myself, but if you stick with big four, Cat, Case, John Deere, and JCB, you will be fine. Also for clay, the wider the bucket, the better. I actually use a 36 inch wide bucket when I dig clay. Hope that helps.