Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

5h-2471 cat cement

TOM V ยท 2012-10-16 18:58

I am on my last can of 5H-2471 CAT cement, went to get 3 cans as I always do and I was told it's no longer available. Been using it for over 25 years, I have not seen anything comparable to the CAT cement for gasket adhesive. Anything good seems to get discontinued.

Replies16
  1. #1BB642012-10-16 23:18

    The folks at ACMOC were chatting about the glue being discontinued a couple weeks ago -- here's the thread http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?17017-Cat-cement-5H2471 Their suggested substitution was http://gasgacinch.com/index.htm Good luck!

  2. #2SchuLace2012-10-16 23:45

    Use Loctite part 30540. It is the new part number for 5H-2471. http://useloctite.com/caterpillar/downloads/ItemList_US_LT-3820.pdf Check out page 22.

  3. #3willie592012-10-16 23:54

    I have not used the Loctite 30540 mentioned by SchuLace, but back at Tom V, if you're talking about that Cat green colored contact cement in a can with an applicator brush, I feel your pain, I was sorely (and still am) dissapointed that it's no longer available. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :Banghead

  4. #4PAcattech2012-10-17 07:18

    The Loctite 30540 works alsmost as good as 5h-2471 cat cement, Cat has discontinued almost all of its cat branded chemicals even antisieze. dealers now sell loctite products.

  5. #5d9gdon2012-10-17 20:57

    Crap, they had some really good products too. Their red silicone was the best. Something was in it that made it dry really fast. That green colored cam and follower lube was the best also.

  6. #6PAcattech2012-10-17 22:53

    Still can get the cam lube d9gdon . last page of this catalog gives the cross over from cat part number to loctite http://useloctite.com/caterpillar/downloads/ItemList_US_LT-3820.pdf my dealership we just order with the loctite number

  7. #7oarwhat2012-10-21 08:15

    I've never used the Cat 5H-2471 cement but it sounds like something I could really use. I use "High Tack" but it takes awhile to dry and doesn't hold gaskets that well. Doing a search I found these specs showing it was made by 3M. http://www.emedco.info/rtk/common/wcd00001/wcd00133.htm

  8. #8d9gdon2012-10-21 10:06

    Thanks PAcattech for the heads up on the camshaft lube. On the gasket cement, I use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive or what we call elephant snot. It works great and dries very fast.

  9. #9OzDozer2012-10-21 10:25

    Oh, man! - This is end-of-the-world news! Everyone knows that 5H-2471 Cat green gasket cement, held the world together!! How many of you have fond memories of trying to get that stuff off old gasket surfaces! It was like the gaskets had been welded on! Chisels were needed to get the stuff off! I don't know how many special tools I made up from broken power-hacksaw blades, to get every last bit of 5H-2471 off those gasket surfaces! Does this mean that all Cat engines will now leak and dribble like those Green Leakers?!

  10. #10typ42012-10-22 09:56

    gasgacinch is nowhere as good as the cat cement,used lots of it on vw stuff, it does clean up easier. But cat cement would keep a gasket where you wanted it , no matter what. I have half a can left, hope it lasts , dont use it that often.

  11. #11TozziWelding2012-10-22 16:48

    Try this, it is evil stuff. My Dad tells stories of guys gluing an installers van to the pavement with it. http://www.robertsconsolidated.com/products.php?c=1&cat=1&sub=24&prod=33 I always used 3M gorilla snot http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M-Super-Weatherstrip-Adhesive-2KVC3

  12. #12scfparts2014-05-12 18:26

    Might have found 5H2471 online I was just looking for the 5H2471 today, and came across this thread. I did some further research and found that MetalCote has a product offered in the EU that has this same old Cat part number on it. It seems to be the same stuff everyone has been looking for. I am going to buy some and see what comes of it. Link to MetalCote product: http://metalcote.eu/cment.html

  13. #13Bluox2014-05-12 18:56

    It's still for sale at the Cat store. bob

  14. #14scfparts2014-05-12 18:59

    My local CAT dealer cant get it anymore. All they have is the new 30540 black contact adhesive. I'll check further. Thanks. BEN

  15. #15MarBo2015-06-25 18:09

    A bit of an old thread, but I found it. Loctite Black Contact Adhesive 30540, here's a good price I found. http://www.zoro.com/loctite-black-c...jLoghxGcmLdhhuL_waKt8aAqIk8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

  16. #16Stick-man2024-12-04 23:17

    Holy crap, I've used the term gorilla snot for that suuff for over 35 years! LOL That's the yellow stuff!