Would anyone like to make a suggestion what make of machine the Monitor diplay panel in the photo below comes from.? I know what the machine is supposed to be , but I have my doubts. I was hoping that one or more HEF members might recognize it.
No clue but 535C is pretty damn hot.
I think the "535" refers to something else but not sure what. The temperature I reckon should be indicated by the needle on the upper gauge.
I don't recognize the display, judging by the surrounding colors of what I think is an excavator boom, I would say Deere or Volvo.
Hours? Then that would be strange to put the hour meter under the temp gauge. Well it's not a new Cat mini monitor that I've seen. Chinese container straight to auction machine?
Kind of similar to the new Bobcat displays it is not quite the same.
Hi Nige! Is this one of your projects? Looks like a Chinese machine type screen… I am probably way off the mark, I haven’t seen one before. It’s not a replacement screen off eBay someone has added? Or a Chinese cat copy? Hours look like the top left corner.
Kind of. I'll give more details later but right now I'm just looking for suggestions from people who work on this type of equipment on a daily basis to offer suggestions on what brand of equipment they think this monitor panel might be from.
Yeah ok you have me very intrigued ! I did some googling and didn’t find anything. Hopefully someone knows what it’s from.
OK - you're just messing with us now Nige.
Kind of like HEF’s version of a “who done it murder mystery”!!
If that's Nige in the mirror pic - he has far too clean of finger nails to be a wrench bender.
I know… almost too clean!!! Perhaps it’s a clue to part of the mystery. I thought we may have finally got an accidental sneaky pic of Nige in the wild, but I am not convinced.
In a way it is somewhat deliberate, but I wanted some unbiased opinions from members what make of machine they thought that panel might have come from without trying to put suggestions into people's heads. I don't even have the full story yet so I can't give it to you. All will be revealed in the due fullness of time..........
Looks like a phone to me....
That thought, or maybe a very small tablet, had crossed my mind.
Very large bezels to be a tablet in 2025 but probably not a bad idea in that sort of situation
Ahhh that might be where I have seen that type of gauge cluster “look”. I have a cheap Bluetooth dongle that connects to car OBD2 via Bluetooth with a generic type phone app. Is it hard wired in? Would be a bit neat if it was a Bluetooth addon.
It is, yes.
OK, now I have the full story so I can post it here. This excavator was allegedly a 2018 Cat 305.5E2 bought at an RB auction in the US. Certainly that's how it was advertised and sold by RB. The PIN plate on it looked genuine. Apparently it was manufactured by Cat in China and first sold by the Cat dealer in Hong Kong. How it ended up in the US was unknown. The original question was regarding some monitor functions not working properly. On looking at the monitor instructions from the O&M it was obvious that the monitor in the machine was not original. The question was what had gone on and why.? The non-OEM monitor immediately set off my "clone-dar" and more photos of the machine were requested. On the face of it and from all angles the machine looked genuine. The only clues were a new paint job and a couple of older-style Cat decals on the boom that did not match the "new generation" decals on the rest of the machine. The major clue was a photo of the enginre bay. What was under the hood was a Yanmar 4TNV88C engine, not the Kubota (V2607 I think) that should have been there. The Yanmar engine is 100% electronic where the Kubota has manual governor control. This machine had a Bosch engine ECM with a very professional electrical installation controlling the Yanmar engine. Again it screamed clone. However the truth was that someone somewhere had re-engined this machine with the Yanmar motor, because all the original Cat wiring harnesses in the engine bay and in the panelwork under the monitor were STILL THERE, just not being used. The non-OEM montor panel was obviously installed to interface with the engine ECM, as I guess the OEM one would not. Why someone would go to all this effort to install a non-OEM engine beats me. The one saving grace is that the machine itself is not a clone as I originally suspected, although it will be a bit of a Frankenstein when it comes to getting hold of certain parts.
Now that's grey market!
Another bit of info that a contact came up with. Sounds logical to me. “The Yanmar 4TNV88C-PSY engine is fitted to the Sany SY50U mini-HEX. It's T4F with 29.1 kW @ 2400 RPM. The Cat C2.4 from factory produces 34.1 kW @ 2400 RPM. Not much of a power difference, probably runs well. If I was a gambling man, I would put my money on 305.5E2 having had a f*cked engine, so someine adapted an engine removed from a Sany SY50U, simply because the Cat has far more resale value than the Sany.”