They move Manitowoc 4600's complete also, but this is the 4100. Dual 300t lowboys that attach at the sides and across the gooseneck. These are just outside of Prudhoe bay on Alaska's north slope.
Very impressive. Good shots. How far is the move?
What trucks are those, a Western Star and A Pete? Can't believe they let you move it with the boom on and up!
:woohoo*please tell me thats a 397 peterbilt please*
600 ton lowboy, 4100 being moved: That is most impressive Sharky, It's a little hard to see in the picture... but they only use one truck to pull the two lowboys... correct. The other truck is hauling a different piece... or no? Looks a little chilly there too.. :yup Thanks for the pictures Sharky, OCR
Great pictures ! I have alway liked the way things are done on the Slope. Please give us more pictures. I think the two tractors are a Kenworth 850? and a Kenworth C-500 hig hood. John
After seeing the episode in Ice Road Truckers where they use the truck system to move the rigs I wouldn't be surprised if the other truck was carrying some sort of brace to stabilize the front of the boom. **(disclaimer) This is a guess from a south-easterner who had no idea they did all the extreme things they do up north until the Ice Road shows.**
That was pretty awesome. I once moved a 2900 Manitowoc with 100 feet of boom in rig, crawlers were retracted to 12 feet from 19 feet so as to fit on the lowboy. Another operator sat in the seat to swing headache ball around a few sighn's and things. We moved it about half a mile from an outdoor concert hall from pile driving work to a bridge down the road for demo. We had state permits for this move as well as police escort!
Both K Dubs, The newer I know is a C 500 and it is carrying the loading ramps. The older one runs planetary drives, I think #91000 lb rears,and tripple frame rails. The hauls vary, but I think about 80 miles one way. Most of their trucks are all C 500's and when I was in their yard there was 50 lowboys lined up there, all 60 ton or better trailers, beavertails, folding and sideload trailers mostly. They (Peak) Have enough shop space to fit 80 trucks. That particular crane and the 4600 ran around the clock for the 2 month hitch I was there. They NEVER shut it off, except for a "Quick" oil change. Each one measures 12' plus the attachment,so close to 25' wide. One truck does pull both lowboys, from a center king pin, but 2 can be used for "Heavy" loads, a truck on each outside king pin. Yes, it was cold. For me anyways. Average was -40 f but it did get down to negative 52 while I was there. Thats without the wind chill factor, which dropped it to minus 80 "Feel" for a few days. I was a fueler, so had to be outside it that crap for hours on end. Here is one of the front of the lowboy.
Awesome pics! thats pretty cool they move thier cranes booms intact!:usa
Unbelievable...nice pictures. Obviously no overhead structures to be concerned about, eh?
We use to move Dillinghams 4100 when they were still in business (they went belly up in 2002)...but defiantly not all on one load We would move the house and car body as one load and the tracks as two loads...everything else Dillingham moved on their own
sweet. i have seen helders hauling move intact 3900's and 4000's for case foundation right through down town chicago. that is always neat. they use an old, beat up b model mack and a winch lowboy.