Hi All, I recently picked up a 60s 580CK for 500 bucks! Thing had sat over a decade... But started right up on the first crank. It has the diesel engine. I did have to drill the hole beneath the screen for the shuttle. Anyway, without getting to far into the weeds about the long list of things I need to fix / need advice on... yet... I need to get up to speed on hydraulic lines. I blew the quick disconnect supply line to the backhoe. It cost about 100 bucks to replace. I'm pretty sure the rest of them need to be replaced. What is cost effective? What is the go to way for the guy who doesn't have a friend with a crimper? I just missed out on a Gates Crimper... 700 bucks with all the dies. There's some swageing machines for sale occasionally... What's everyone's opinions on swageing vs crimping? I was reading up on Eaton Aeroquip Hand Swager... and their Thermoplastic lines... Are they appropriate? What pressures am I working with? TIA for any advice.
Take the old hoses to a hyd. shop and they'll match them up. A good hyd. shop will be cheaper than somewhere like Napa and will clean the hoses out. Take pics. of where they go and only take a few at a time so you dont get confused where they go.
Well the first one I did was 100 dollars... there's probably 20 more lines.
Making them yourself will still cost 85. The cheapest I've found is discount hydraulic hose.com type in your specs and they ship them to you. On that old machine it's all pipe thread and jic so Nothing magical
The most expensive part of your rebuild is probably gonna be the hydraulic lines, makers are really proud of them things.
You got the backhoe for $500 and it runs. Consider that a big win. I'd talk with a hose shop and see if you could get a discount if you had 10 or more hoses to do. Even if you had to spend $2000 on hoses it's a heck of a lot easier to replace hoses than have to pull an engine, tranny or rear end apart and have to fix them.
I don't disagree... and to be completely honest that is likely the route I'm going to go... However these thermoplastic hoses have grabbed my attention. Going through the Eaton hose catalogs and they seem to be a possible solution. I will report back once I go either way on what the cost was.
You do not want to use thermoplastic lines unless you want to waste money and time along with an EPA site.
Why is that? The specifications for the thermoplastic hose I'm looking at is higher than 100R2 rubber lines.
Because unless you’re willing to cover everyone of them, they do not do well with the atmosphere and anything to do with movement and certainly not the life of a BACKHOE unless it’s for viewing only.
Sorry for the sarcasm reply. Take a rubber hose and bend it back and forth and whack your neighbor and a tree while you’re at it, drag it a little over the bark also. Then do it with a plastic line. YMMV
Well that's what I thought... Eatons bruiser line looks tough... But as I was reading about their higher end TP lines... they seem tough too. The 3R80 lines specifically.
It's fine. I'm just looking at this the way I do as an engineer... is there some other solution? Maybe... Maybe there's a reason I haven't seen anyone else using TP lines. I mean you guys are probably right. I don't doubt that. I'm just learning. I'm pretty bummed I didn't get that gates crimper... 700 bucks for everything... It was a steal. Can't win em all.
Get hoses with better abrasion resistance and you'll be good. Most standard hoses at a hyd. shop are pretty good anyway. Any hoses that have to make sharp curves, get hoses designed for tighter radius bends.
If you look at any of those applications, they do NOT show any equipment. They are stagnet lines that don’t flex or get jammed against a tree. I hear what you are saying and agree wi you. Because of the equipment i and my family own I bought this and with all the dies. I did spend about 3k for more fittings than it already had. The ROI will be awhile but it’s going nowhere soon.