Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

615 brake drag

precision dirt ยท 2015-08-22 00:39

My 615's cab side front brake is dragging. 20 minutes of use and the front brake will start dragging but doesn't seem to do so right at start up.I have adjusted and loosened the brake adjusters the manual says .080 of clearance between shoe and drum.The shoes appeared to be free and spring return as supposed to.I assumed at first the adjusters had shaken the shoes against the drum out of adjustment but when I went to check them, the adjusters were stiff so not likely they had vibrated out.I guess my next plan is to pull the wedge and see if it's sticking. If I had a leak at the brake pedal valve and it was bleeding air by wouldn't all breaks be dragging not just one?just a thought?was wondering if anyone had any problems like this?

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-22 02:49

    Maybe you got something holding air in that one can? maybe pull the line off at the wheel and see if air will blow freely back through it and there's nothing in the adapter fitting at the can? Weird things happen in the dirt...

  2. #2DPete2015-08-22 13:03

    Have had brakes on my 623's drag, a finger full of grease or never seize on the S cam usually does the trick

  3. #302Dmax2015-08-22 14:50

    Just about has to be the S cam or chamber. Do these have a dual chamber for parking brakes?

  4. #4lantraxco2015-08-22 16:22

    Wedge brakes, yeah? Never worked on a 615, but the ones I dealt with were air park as I recall, when the air bled off they took off, if parked on a grade. Cutting edge was usually the parking brake, and for one outfit I worked for it was the only brake. Rotochamber did they call them?

  5. #5precision dirt2015-08-22 20:42

    Yes these are Air park brakes and when the air bleeds off they do release.upon further inspection this morning with the machine off and no air in the tanks the brakes were released. When I fired up the machine, aired it up and pushed in the knob to release the brakes The shoes slowly contacted the drum when they should have been released, now get this..... There is a pipe plug on air side of chamber, I removed it thinking maybe air was Against chamber somewhat.... Well I was right... When air could bleed out plug hole, shoes would release but if I put my thumb on plug hole I could slowly feel pressure build and that's when shoes slowly contact drum until I remove my thumb. So obviously I have air leaking to the chamber from somewhere.... Pedal valve? I have to check my books on air circuit Monday. Any other ideas

  6. #6lantraxco2015-08-22 23:46

    Well, used to have to clean mud out from under the heel of the treadle valves on some trucks, the drivers would complain the brake lights were on all the time... apparently didn't notice any other symptoms, lol Maybe that wheel just happens to be the sensitive one?

  7. #7zhkent2015-08-26 07:50

    Treadle valve, I've heard that before. Proper term for Brake Pedal. I'll bet a dollar lantraxco is spot on.