Good morning all, I'm looking at a 04 john deere 644j with 10k hours. I have not looked at the machine because its across the country. Anyway, its listed that it needs a brake job. Whether that means the parking brake doesn't hold or the wet brake system is failing, I'm not sure and cant get any info. My question is, has anyone completed a brake job on all 4 axles on a machine like this? Is it a very expensive, time consuming deal? I understand there's supposed to be a hole to inspect the brakes possible? Any info would be much appreciated.
Dunno about inspecting brakes, but these are inboard disks, you have to drop out or remove completely the entire drive axle, remove the right and left planetary axle units from the center section, the brakes live where the axle housings split from the center section. Front and rear. If it is in need of a brake overhaul it's a major job AND you may have lots of metal in the differentials and planets, that's how they fail if they're driven through the friction material. I wouldn't touch it without inspecting myself and dropping some fluid from the axles for inspection and lab testing.