this happened at work a while back
No one hurt, hopefully?? What's the story? Good pics of a bad situation.:drinkup Bob
Looks like he was either dumping on the edge and didn't have his can low enough to where if he starts to fall off it'll dig in the ground and catch him, poor operator
The last picture looks like he was making a shallow cut and got to close to the edge. If the back scraper had stopped pushing they might have saved it. Just a guess,but somebody made a bad decision. I wonder why they didn't bring the cut down all together instead of having a trench to work around?
I wouldnt say they are working around a trench dozerdave. Looks like they are cutting a swale. A fun job with a dozer pushing, to help "lock" you down to the slope.
no injuries aprt from a bruised ego they were cutting batters as part of a new levee bank project
Well That Is Just Bright. I Wonder How The Operator Got Out?
Ohh Yeah Now I See The Other Window Open On The Other Side... ointhead
Hi scraperboy222, Thanks for the information, what is a batter?
I am guessing they mean what we call a slope.
Thanks Buckethead, We did find out how steep a slope a 657 will take.
thats right buckethead sorry about the aussie terminology i got hold of a copy of the incedent report it seems the supervisordirected them to cut on the lower side of the rill.
Scraperboy where did this take places if I could ask
I knew what you meant because around here a batter pile is a pile driven on an angle, so I figured batter was the slope.
ensham mine in queensland oversize
Hi Guys, Like I said before, I think somebody made a bad decision. All that to save a little dozer or grader time trimming the slope.
that disaster will have ruined the machine?
Thanks for the pics Scraperboy. Does that Dozer have more than a bush canopy on it?I thought you got shot if your dozer had no ROPS in minesites.. I often laugh to myself at the condition of some of the mining companies own gear & what they can get away with.As a small owner operator,if you turn up onsite & your machine isn't perfect,they laugh at you & tell you to get lost. On your way out the gate,you drive past the company backhoe that is armed with a sun canopy & torn bucket. Doesn't really worry me,but it's nice if everyone gets same treatment....
Hi Jim The dozer is a D9L the scrub cab fits over the factory air rops. I hear you on the apparent double standard on company equipment vs owner operator.
Randy Rome. That accident will not ruin the machine. I have seen quite a few scrappers go over, sometimes completely upside down. The first thing that has to be done to get it running is remove the fuel injectors and flush out any engine oil that had seeped into the combustion chambers. I saw one they didn't do that to and the mechanic (idiot) bent three connecting rods trying to start it. That resulted in a complete engine teardown. The rest is pretty simple depending on the damage to the sheet metal and hydraulic tanks,broken glass etc.
Does'nt look all that steep in the pics, the scraper was probably loading on the downhill side and maybe a ledge at the toe started it over. You can see where the front tires slid down the slope. Pucker factor for sure. Good pics of a common safety hazzard
I agree with DPete. Don't look like anything I would not load on. Looks to me like the front scraper had just lifted up to transfer loading to the back. Maybe he lifted the can too high, and then looks like he spun tires and slid down over the small windrow and that, coupled with the can too high, upset things. I have had operators do the same thing, and with the same results. Usually operator error is involved, but then again, the boss should not have them on a slope if they don't have the skills. Problem I have had is the ones you tell to stay off the edge sometimes do it anyway to show you they can. Then when they tip it over, they get fired, but it is too late for the scraper, and the mechanics are going to be mad.
we tend to use dozers on the batters over here let the adt's tip it and cut it with a blade or an excavator depending on how the rails are set. i hope the guy in the scraper was ok
Low banks are dangerous It's nearly always on low banks where roll overs occur ointhead. On a high bank, much more caution is observed
If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space.
I would be so fired in australia, i have no idea what they are saying. the operator should have turned down into the ditch. It takes a fair amount of experience to "feel" just when to do that. But if they were push pulling when this happened you probably could not do that for fear of tearing up your partners bail. It also looks like the loose chunks did not help either. Damn the lazy blademen.