Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

671 questions

Oildripper · 2026-02-05 20:21

Hey guys , We pulled a 671 Detroit from a Grove Truck 1981 year Crane and put it on a sled to run a water pump. On the water out manifold “the one that sits next to valve cover” it only connects to the front 4 cylinders . Last 2 cylinders are capped . Why the difference? Also theres a hose on that same side near the bell housing that has me wondering where it goes . When we run the engine water comes out of it. Can this be capped off? Any help is appreciated!

Replies2
  1. #1willie592026-02-05 20:35

    On most 6-71 that I've seen the water outlet manifold is connected to all six head ports. However, they are some out there with connection to just four head ports.

  2. #2cfherrman2026-02-05 21:40

    I think that manifold is just for heater hoses. The one at the back might be for an air compressor or the like, so I would guess it could be capped