I figured I would remove the instrument panel from my 580ck today and try to figure out why the fuel gauge isn't working and the tach well it does what it fells like. I removed all the bolts and screws. I had to remove the fuel shut off cable from the fuel pump the whole cable had to come out of the dash. I went to move the dash back, up, and out and nothing. I get maybe about 1/2 and inch. I believe it is being held in place by the clutch pressure gauge. I stuck my hand up under there and felt a tube but I have no clue where it goes couldn't find anything down below that resembles it. I took the plate off the steering column and didn't see anything that look like it in there. I really like to rewire the panel. I stuck a wire scope camera in there and the wires are pretty corroded. I looked in the service manual I have and it only mentions Instrument Panel removal but does not say how. I checked here and couldn't find anything. Help!!!!
I found where the tube went. I have the panel off. My tach is seized the cable was cut. I couldn't find the other end of the cable. I think it use to connect the generator which is not longer there I have an alternator. I have a 68 580CK with a 188d diesel. I would like to put a tach back in any ideas on how I can accomplish this. My fuel gauge is toast I think , From the drawing in the service manual it says that there should be 12v on one side when the key is on and the other side goes to the sender. When I do that the gauge goes to full. I know that there is only about 7 gallons of fuel in the tank. I took an ohm reading from the sender and it was 165 ohms. Thanks.....
I figured I would finish this one off. It turned out the problem with the fuel gauge was the fuel gauge. I purchased a used fuel gauge off the internet and wired it up and it worked. I did some investigating and my 188d diesel does not have a tach drive on it. The tach was driven off the generator. I checked my alternator and it does not have a tach output so if I want a tach I'll have to install either a new alternator with a tach output or purchase an after market sensor that straps on the alternator to give me a tach input. Either way it's going to cost me about 150.00 plus the cost of a tach. I did purchase a hand held tach device on amazon so until I figure it out I'll use it.
Something isn't adding up. There is a tach cable part number for 188 engines. A39403 replaces: A38817 and A38822. Also, you should be able to pull your speed off of the alternator as an alternative. There are different ways of doing it. I believe it depends on your alternator.
HeavyEquipmentForums This thread also talks about it
Yes, some engines have the drive on the engine other had the drive off the generator. On my engine the drive was off the generator. There is no place on the block to put a tach drive. Depending on the year of the alternator some alternators have 2 wires (like mine) some have 3 wires. The third wire is the tach wire. My alternator is a 2 wire alternator. There is no 3rd / Tach wire. If anyone has an alternative I'd be happy to hear it.
A mechanical drive tach cannot be converted to one that uses the current pulses from an alternator. Sounds like someone removed the generator and replaced it with a DelcRemy alternator. It is a good cheap replacement for a generator. Quite commonly done. If your 188 block does not have the tach drive in it you have no alternatives for a tachometer. Other than going back to a generator and regulator and all the problems with restoring the wiring back to what it was when the tractor was new. I don't know if you could even find the drive cable to hook a generator to your tach. There is a device sold by Tiny Tach. I think it senses pulses on one of the fuel injector lines (diesel). ----> https://tinytach.com/diesel-tinytach
Autometer makes a tach for diesels that run off of a magnetic pickup strapped to the outside of the alternator. https://www.autometer.com/diesel-tach-adapter.html Of course, you will have to get a new tachometer as well.
Ha, you already saw that solution...
You could try this: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com...pics-93/where-connect-tach-alternator-277307/ It has to go through a converter to calibrate it though Or this: not sure if it is what you need though... Edit:nvm... wrong part