Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580sl Dust cap on front drive shaft yoke.

Doug580l ยท 2020-09-05 12:45

I'm replacing the dust cap, cork and steel washer on the yoke of the front drive shaft. (Part no. D149860) I took the old one off(seems like it unscrewed) and am trying to put the new one on. I am trying to screw it on. The threads are kind of smashed up a little at the beginning of the yoke, but to my crappy eyes it looks like maybe it's supposed to be pushed on rather than screwed on and the "threads" are angled to hold it on. Is that true? Or do I have to try and repair the smashed in area? Thanks, Doug

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2020-09-06 17:39

    The caps are fully threaded Doug, you need to get a thread file to tidy up that yoke.

  2. #2Doug580l2020-09-06 20:07

    Thanks for the reply. I didn't do a very good job fixing the threads. I've got it back on now but I ended up needing to use slip joint pliers and too much force. Although it does seem to be on straight. I'm not sure how tight it's supposed to be. I tightened it down to just the point that the cork washer doesn't move. Is that correct? Thanks, Doug

  3. #3alrman2020-09-09 16:57

    That's all it's designed to do.