I am looking to buy this service truck and need some advice on what to check before pulling the trigger. It has Autocrance and Hobart Champion 10000 welder on it. Obviously, I will check the ususal suspects, but it wold be nice to know if there are any problem areas that you know about if you operated one of these trucks before. Thanks in advace for any tips.
Also, did someone add a tuner chip or turn up the engine & tranny ?
I agree on the chip/tuner although sometimes it's hard to tell if they've removed it. I personally will never buy a diesel truck that's been 'modded' in any way. If the engine isn't bone stock and unmolested I'm not interested, period. What model is the truck exactly? F350, F-superduty (F450)? Couple things that come to mind, It probably has a ZF-5 transmission. They are good but can give some trouble at higher mileage depending on how they were treated. If it runs quiet down the road, shifts smooth and the fluid looks good it's probably fine. FYI, they use ATF, not 90wt gear oil. If it's full of gear oil that's a red flag that either 1) the owner doesn't know/care, or 2) they are trying to cover up a noisy tranny. Also ask when it had a clutch last put in and if they are still running the stock dual mass flywheel. They can be problematic and come apart, generally most people swap them out for a standard flywheel at the first clutch change. As for the engine, aside from the normal things you'd check on a higher mileage diesel (condition of the turbo, injectors, etc) these trucks also had problems with the under-valve cover wiring harness that controls the injectors and glow plugs. Fairly common problem and not too hard to fix, but can cause numerous different starting and running problems. Also check the glow plug system in general, it should cycle on with the key, Wait to Start light for a few seconds, hear the solenoids click, then should fire right up. Those Solenoids were another common problem, but again, easy to fix. Check the fuel bowl/filter assembly on top of the engine. Any leaks here can cause trouble, if they are bad enough fuel will run down the back of the engine and ruin the clutch. Last thing I can think of, these engines use a high pressure oil pump to fire the injectors. IF the truck was well maintained the system usually works fine, but it relies on a constant supply of good, clean oil. If the motor looks sludged up inside you're asking for trouble. Hopefully this helps, I'm going from memory since it has been several years since I've owned one of those trucks.
Truthfully the ZF5 trans was a turd, tunnel type. Ford dropped parts for that trans as soon as they could. Finding anyone to rebuild one was the first issue and if found there was no warranty. I had 14 of those to take care of for a Ag company, the trans was a bigger issue than engine.
Sounds like driver abuse to me. I've had two, never an issue with either, one has 350k on it. My dad had two, over 500k between the two. There were a lot of them around here 30 years ago, you are the very first I've heard run down a Ford manual. GM and Dodge on the other hand, those couldn't be swapped out fast enough, both giant POS, probably the reason GM had to get in bed with Allison. Never had anything decent pulling, shifting, lasting until the Duramax/Allison combo. Dodge was slightly better, but then again there was also 5 Dodges around here for every Chevy/GMC after the Cummins came in play.
Check for oil in the valley. It might also be running down the back of the engine. Rear main seal seldom fails but turbo mounts and HPOP in the valley sometimes leak. Mine broke an ear off the trans. Had to have it welded. Check engine mounts. My glow plugs haven't worked for years and the truck only has 63k miles. I plug in the block heater for 3 hours to get it going. What I was told>Ford stopped making the glow plug/valve cover harness and after market weren't worth installing but it's possible my mechanic just didn't want to do it. Be prepared to push the clutch ALL the way to the floor every time for low gears. I'm only 5'6" and two trucks of this model have been a pain.
Your mechanic was lazy. Ford still makes gaskets, they are now made with the under cover injector and glow plug harnesses molded into the gasket. Be prepared, they are about $500 per set. I know this because my 15 year old son wanted his Grandpa's 1996 Power stroke that my dad had been cycling the key twice for the last 5 years because of glow plug issues. It cost $1300 for plugs, gaskets, relay, cam sensor, and labor. It now starts like a new one with 340k on the clock.
GM didn't get in bed with Allison, GM owned Allison when the Duramax/Allison combo started.
Well, it’s a 30 year old rig with a butt load of miles. Just plan on working on it as much as the equipment you are supporting with it. As long as it’s not a rust bucket underneath and the frame is ok.
Didn't GM phart under the covers then wafted it around causing a splitting of the sheets with big AL.
I think it’s just their branding agreement.
300K miles on a Powerstroke, get ready for HEUI injector o-ring failures. If one fails, might as well pull all the injectors. BTW, this isn't a 30 minute job. And if you have a failed injector, those HEUI injectors aren't cheap.
I've had several of these, they're great when nothing's wrong but they have their quirks. Cam position sensors failed regularly leaving the truck like someone turned the ignition off. There's an injector harness under the valve cover that was prone to failure leaving you with 4 cylinders running. In my experience the glow plug solenoids are the probable cause for glow plug failure. And as willie59 mentioned injector seals would fail resulting in high engine oil consumption. They're a pretty big job to replace. The oil pan rotted too, especially in salt environments. From what I've read (and I followed these pretty closely when I had them) the truck you're looking at is about at the end of the engine's service life. I'm not sure about availability today for replacement, the engine was discontinued end of 2002. If the price is right and the truck isn't rusted it could last you a while but I'd calculate possible engine replacement soon into the purchase price.
Could swear I read something about a split.
Brothers 97 350 with 82,000 on it, showed it before. *
Engines are still easy to get from Ford/Motorcraft. Last one was a long block w/ injectors. $11,500. Some of the engine mount bolt holes were stripped. Jerks.
My buddy purchased a 2001 7.3 two years ago, it is in very rough shape. It was used hard by multiple drivers of a mining exploration company that he worked for:engine 'chipped', frame cracked (and poorly welded, near the front spring mounts). Ridiculous huge 6" lift (I tease him and call it his monster truck)... However... I must say the engine sounds and runs great! He did have to do glowplugs as it seemed to need those to start properly in cold weather, it also had some fuel leaks as described up-thread. It is around 300,000km
Thank you all for the great tips. I think this one summarizes it all best: "Just plan on working on it as much as the equipment you are supporting with it." Ha, ha.... Ain't that the truth!
I am looking for a vehical I wish we had a Crystal ball and could see what is going to happen if we spend $$$$$ on something . Good luck