Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

70s model d6c leaking fuel

keith-50 ยท 2020-12-27 19:58

My 1970 d6c 10k3438 dozer is leaking fuel from tube on bottom of fuel transfer pump. Looking at service manual it appears to have a scroll type injection pump and transfer pump system. Need info on how to repair leak and can transfer pump be removed without having to remove injection pump? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1D6c10K2020-12-27 20:09

    Is the leaking hose coming from the forward end of the pump? Haven't worked on a scroll type pump but if it's like the sleeve pump there is a gear pump on the front end. The hose is a drain to keep the fuel from leaking into the crankcase if the seal fails. If that's the way it's set up you have to pull the pump.

  2. #2Bluox2020-12-27 23:37

    Remove 2 bolts that hold pump on accessory drive and remove pump and hour meter. When you get new seals ask Cat to print off rebuild instructions. Bob

  3. #3keith-502020-12-28 09:16

    Do they offer a repair kit, I read in another post by some one, they have a repair kit with seals and bushings, or if I buy from cat do I have to buy seporately, thanks

  4. #4kshansen2020-12-28 12:49

    Not sure of kits but without an actual S/N these a re the best I can do, attached are two pages off SIS but not 100% sure if they are right for your machine.

  5. #5keith-502020-12-28 13:16

    10k 3438

  6. #6Bluox2020-12-28 13:54

    Call your local Cat parts store and check with them , Ask about Yellow mark parts I bet they have a new pump and you will be running 15 minutes after you get your pump. Good luck Bob

  7. #7keith-502020-12-28 14:07

    thank you sir , greatly appreciated

  8. #8Old Magnet2020-12-28 15:30

    Check kit #5R1425

  9. #9kshansen2020-12-28 15:30

    Well going by SIS the Yellowmark pump is a 242 3442

  10. #10kshansen2020-12-28 15:38

    This is what I see on SIS for "5R1425"

  11. #11kshansen2020-12-28 15:48

    Going by the 10K03438 S/N here are some better files on this transfer pump: I tried getting prices on seals and gaskets along with the Yellowmark pump but SIS is not giving me those right now

  12. #12.RC.2020-12-28 18:05

    Or get an Italian made aftermarket one for half the price of yellow mark.