I've always been a proponent of buying American products and try to practice this philosophy every day. With the current state of world affairs it is more important than ever that I continue this practice. However, I researched for over two years on a replacement bulldozer for my farm with powershift or hydrostatic drive, 6 way blade, power controls, joy stick operation, non computer control, and still small enough that I could transport myself. The ONLY model than fit these specs was a Komatsu D21. I found a 1995 model last year, and after replacing the steering clutches, bottom rollers, and resealing the hyd cylinders, it is a remarkably efficient machine and a pleasure to operate. It's just a shame that Cat, Deere or any other American manufacturer couldn't produce such a machine as this.
I agree, that vintage of those size machines I thought the Dressers were the best, I didn't care for the Cats or John Deere small dozers until John Deere came out with the H series. Then Cat came out with the G series and I liked those are the best, still think they are better than the K. But none of those fit your criteria, you found the best fit I think.
The thing is that CTL's have taken over that slot particularly with all the attachments that can be used..Mitsubishi, Hitachi and Takecuhi made that size dozer as well.
Case 450? A little heavier at 11,500. Used to be real popular around here.
Case 310g is the same size range as the Jap dozers. I operated one 40 years ago with power angle but no tilt and no powershift It was a PITA.
Most big corporations being multinational make their stuff all over the world whereever is most cost and risk effective. Do any manufacturers like John Deere or Caterpillar make their small construction stuff in the US?
In my opinion... Cat made great equipment until the foreign manufacturers wanted their slice of the pie. Cat then had to cheapen up their machines to compete. Look at the 70,s era Cats.... damn near bulletproof. I still buy American and local every chance I can. My moto is what you drive drives America!!!
cat makes their small track hoes cats in Athens Georgia
Can't speak for CAT, but Deere builds most of their equipment for North America in the U.S. Even the Hitachi/Deere Excavators (most of them, not all) are "assembled" in North Carolina (components made in Japan). Larger engines in the U.S. and smaller engines in Mexico and specialty excavators (like for logging) are in Canada. https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/common/our-company/about/jd-world-locations-8-27-20.pdf
I think if you're looking for a single-country manufacture of any piece of equipment sold these days by any of the major players then IMHO you're batting a loser. It may have whatever flag that makes you happy on the decal but various parts of it will be made everywhere. Example: Brand new 45-ton Cat excavator assembled in China. Engine out of a plant in Texas, swing & final drives/hydraulic pumps out of Japan, undercarriage out of Belgium, most of the electronic components marked either Mexico or various European countries, etc, etc.
I have less trouble spotted on PDIs with stuff made overseas than out of a US production plant. In particular if it’s made in JA Pan it’s high quality gear and they are fanatical about QC
Harleys are as about as American as you can get and use Mikuni carbs. from Japan and some other foreign components. I find it rather strange that although the US has a large contingent of top MX and enduro racers, all of the bikes are imports from Japan, Austria/India, Italy, etc. Most sport bikes are pretty much imports too.
I would like to argue that with you... but that would be ignoring the facts. QC is off the chain and the parts supply is good.
It would be of great benefit to those of us handicapped with a lack of understanding of the use of initials if folks would spare the extra time and effort to actually spell out certain words. What the heck is PDI, QC, etc.
PDI pre delivery inspection QC quality control
Sadly after my experience buying a US made machine and being burned by it I have become very sceptical about anything coming from there. In the most part Chinese equipment is junk but is priced accordingly. The machine I had had a 2" twist in the frame, different size holes for the track drive motors, track that had been originally manufactured for a 4 ton dozer fitted a machine that weighed nearly 8 tons hydraulic pump that was never fit for purpose blew up at 1700 has, a $25000 fix and heaps more sh*t . And others around the world suffered the same failings I found out when it was all to late I should have reported it to the US Trade Commission. PS The machine was manufactured in Woster Ohio
QC is Quality Control.
It's been like that since motorcycle racing took off in the 70s, and it is still dominated by the "big four" from Japan. Part of it is simply those countries have way more experience building motorcycles, and once a capital foundation is set up for motorsports R&D, they become unstoppable.
What was it Tones? Rayco?
We have the people and the capability to build the best sh*t in the world. Greedy corporate management, the American penchant for tripping over dollars to save a dime of investment, ridiculous lawyers and ridiculous damage awards, liability laws and insurance, MOUNTAINS of regulations, emissions requirements, hiring requirements, and TAXES prevent it. Japan and other countries have always used government subsidies to help industries establish dominance over ours also. P.S.: Almost forgot, unions that stopped representing the workers forever ago. The union is for the union.
If you want a recent example of corporate greed, you don't have to go very far. The sad part in my opinion is that nobody has gone to jail (or is ever likely to) over it. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55582496
I'm curious to know just WHO gets that 3.5bn dollar fine from Boeing?
According to the report about $500m of the $2.5b goes to the families of the passengers on the two planes that crashed. I assume that the rest goes to the DoJ as a payment to avoid prosecution for the failings of the company. Personally I think that’s wrong and they should’ve been up in court charged with corporate manslaughter.
And give up the chance for a government money grab?
Yes Sir
Wow.... aren't they a Morbark brand now? I expected a lot better from them. Sad.
About a third of Harley's components are made Korea or Japan now, some were coming from India but QC was crap and those ceased. Should know, owned three post 1995s, ALL had something Overseas Manufacture. My current 2012 Road Glide is about 2/3 US Produced, wiring Harness is Mexico, tins are Japan and engine major castings Japan but machined here.
Rayco wasn't involved at that time but here's the thing A managed fund bought Morbark then Rayco and a company from Canada who made mulching heads. From my reading over the years the Canadian company made a good product and backed it with great service. Not any more on both counts
Have heard the AMF era Harleys were the absolute worst for quality control.
AMF as the initials imply were junk, hard to keep together as used Low Bidder to build, damned near to lost ALL their business over those years.
Great example Nige. This the reality of the world now. They are building a thousand Mercedes Benz cars a day right down the road in Vance, Alabama. Engines and Transmissions from Germany. Other parts from other places. Global resourcing these days. The computers in all this equipment is made somewhere else in every case as far as I can tell, doesn't matter the brand.