Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

73 580B differential carrier removal

TD-5 ยท 2017-01-05 19:59

Greetings Gents, It has been a while since I've been around the forum but I am back into some brake & diff repairs on the old slave & have run into a snag. I'm trying to remove the Crown carrier & cross shaft assembly from the final drive case, but cannot get it out. There is only one sweet spot where it seems it would want to come out but I am running into a casting hump on the left side which is part of the blind threaded hole for one of the axle tube mounting bolts. From searching around here & scouring over several pictures it appears some (most?) final drive casings didn't have these, the threaded hole was open to the inside of the case. If mine was like the others I've found I'm sure it would give me the added 1/8 to 1/4" I need on the left side to get the crown gear teeth to clear over the counter on the opposite side. I am willing to modify the casting if I knew for sure this would give me enough room to get the assembly out. Anyone else "Run into this" first pic is mine, second pic is a case with no casting hump, 3rd pic is a close up of the hump in my casing, last pic is another casing I found with open holes, no hump.

Replies10
  1. #1xgiovannix122017-01-05 20:53

    I never ran into an issue with mine it came right out

  2. #2TD-52017-01-16 16:25

    Just a quick follow up & for future reference. I removed the casting hump from the one side & the crown carrier & cross shaft came out of the final drive casing. It was still tight but it slipped out in that one spot.

  3. #3Tinkerer2017-01-16 21:37

    Weird ! How did they get it in there the first time ??

  4. #4Juskatla2017-01-16 21:46

    Its a tight fit and has to be just right. I couldn't get mine out but after asking Dale @ Tractorstuff about it, I tried again and got it out and back in later. The OP found his own solution.

  5. #5TD-52017-01-17 00:25

    That was my question also, There is no way Case assembled the Carrier & cross shaft inside the housing. The only way I could figure was if the housing was on the production line without the axle housing attached and protruding thru the housing, then the carrier & cross shaft might have slipped in on an angle in this area. Juskatla, You now have my full attention, is there a sweet spot I missed?

  6. #6Juskatla2017-01-17 12:16

    TD, I had to remove my diff and shaft to replace the fibre thrust washers that were almost disintegrated. On the earlier models, this is/was a known issue and has been discussed on here before. I tried many frustrating times to remove the assembly without luck. I needed some more parts, so I called Dale Weiss @ Tractorstuff and asked what the procedure was to get this out. I had thought maybe the shaft had to be pressed out. Dale explained that there is one spot that it can be removed, After looking at it and trying to get it into that position, it came out on the second try. Your solution is likely less stressful... I have mine all together again so can't offer a pictorial example of exactly where it needs to sit, but it does come out. Dale has supplied all the necessary parts for me so far and at reasonable cost. Even with USPS shipping and exchange, he is more reasonable than the local Case dealer and they have no idea about what I am working on and likely couldn't care less. Dale knows these machines and even though I thought I gave him the correct part number, on several occasions, he corrected me and said, 'this is what you need for that application' Its all an adventure, not being in the trade, I rely on advice from the experienced guys here, and on those who know, to fill in the blanks that the manual has in procedures. Have fun with yours. All in all, they are pretty simple once you get the task figured out. From Experience Comes Knowledge

  7. #7TD-52017-05-14 11:36

    I've run into a little problem that has me scratching my head. after putting every thing back together, my LH brake squeals/squawks real bad under light brake pressure. If I really stand on the brake the noise is gone. It sounds to me like there is uneven contact between the side plate/cover & the brakes. I had to renew the linings on this side due to one having a piece broken out of it & loose rivots. I got the linings thru Dale @ Tractor stuff. Excellent service. The RH side was ok except for being soaked in oil. I cleaned & baked them & they are fine, good braking & no noise. The LH side was making this noise before I took it apart, & I thought the noise was due to the loose rivots..... now I'm not sure

  8. #8xgiovannix122017-05-14 13:08

    possibly uneven wear. maybe over time it will get better but everything looks good . Looks like you did the proper thing by replacing the bad parts. How were the springs and all? did you replace them ?

  9. #9TD-52017-05-15 11:25

    Springs are good, no wear marks, good tension, not stretched out. LH Carrier side plate & side cover have wear but are actually better than RH side. The LH side cover has seen a lot of heat in the past as this was the only brake working. I'll give it a little more use & if it doesn't improve, I'll pull the side cover off again & have a second look.

  10. #10xgiovannix122017-05-15 12:19

    sounds like a plan