Hello, I have a grounded ignition wire. Back Hoe is out in a field and it is snowing and getting colder. Have not found the short. Someone said I could remove the wire from the starter solenoid, (THIS IS WIRE IS PART OF THE GROUNDED IGNITION WIRE) , then connect a jumper wire from the solenoid to Bat to start the back hoe. He said I would have to hold switch open on fuel relay to run the hoe. Anyone know if this will work? and if it will work, will the hydraulics work to lift the loader? Grounded ignition wire is disconnected at the ignition switch and starter solenoid. Thanks,
I don't understand why putting a jumper wire in for the the BAT wire from the solenoid is going to help. You said that the ignition wire is the problem. Two completely different circuits. I don't have a Super M service manual but I do have a K and SK manual and here is part of the ignition switch circuit to give you an idea of what you have. What are the symptoms of the grounded wire ? Look for a plug in the harness that may have a problem. Could be partly separated or a broken or corroded wire at the plug.
Thanks for the reply and diagram. We unplugged the wire from the starter solenoid. This wire was grounded out . It was white ,the same color as the ignition wire that is grounded out at the ignition switch. Both are now disconnected. We then took a jumper wire from Battery to the solenoid on the starter. Now the engine turns over but slowly as it is very cold . I'm going to get a generator to warm it up before we try to start . The question is , will it start and will hydraulics work if it does start. I was told that I will have to manually hold the switch for fuel pump to start it and keep it running till we can get it to a shop and find the short.
If it turns over.. you have to search the fuel system for an electric shut-off solenoid for the injection pump.. If you shut the machine off w/ the key switch, it has an electric shut off solenoid on the inj. pump.. if you pull a cable, it doesn't have a solenoid. If it does have a solenoid, just run a jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid w/ alligator clips. IF it has an electric LIFT PUMP, you'll have to run a hot wire to it also.. A 7.00 spool of wire & 3.00 worth of clips and she should be running. Your probably going to have to bleed the air out of the fuel system before it will start, but that's another paragraph..
I should understand why that jumper works ! DUHHH ! I had the same situation on my tractor last summer. But I had a broken wire somewhere. I unhooked it at the ignition switch and solenoid just like you did. I then permanently installed and zip tied a new wire alongside of the harness.
Like was said in a previous post, if when you ran it before and you turned the key off, the engine kept running until you pulled a knob out to kill it, it's going run and the hydraulics are going to work if you can jump it over to crank. Just make sure the pull knob is not pulled out.
Thanks for the replies. I ran a jumper wire from the Battery to the Starter solenoid and another jumper wire from Battery to fuel solenoid as ThePumpguy suggested. Backhoe fired right up. Hydraulics of loader and hoe work but wheels would not turn in forward or reverse. I lifted the machine up with the stabilizers and the loader and put machine in first gear. Wheels turned very slowly in both forward and reverse. Checked parking brake and seems ok, not engaged as I'm able to move front and rear wheels by hand. Anyone have any idea? Transmission was fine before ignition shorted out. Any connection between the 2 issues? Thanks
Yes, you obviously have some electronic controls on the transmission that feed off that circuit. Sorry we couldn't have told you that ahead of time...