Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’73 Bantam C451 does not swing

Ext-ares ยท 2021-03-22 20:34

Hello, I have a 1973 Bantam C451 that I recently rebuilt the fuel system and was able to start and run the excavator after 18 years of it sitting in the shop. As I tried to mover the excavator out of the shop, I discovered that the cab does not swing. I checked the hydraulic lines to the turntable box and I do have hydraulic fluid that is making its way there. I also greased the turntable brake but still no luck. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing the issue? Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1Rob Gunn2021-03-24 14:11

    Maybe mechanical and not hydraulic? The old Batum that I had yeas ago had the hydraulic lines driving a hydraulic motor that then turned gears inside the gearbox. I had a issue inside my gearbox once that caused the unit not to work.

  2. #2FWD2021-03-24 18:34

    I had a C451 that one day would not swing. No leaks or anything, swing motor appeared to be working. Pulled the swing motor out and the splines were about gone. Purchased a new motor to match and put it on and it's still working today. A friend has it and I know he did not have any trouble getting an after-market motor. FWD

  3. #3Ext-ares2021-03-24 19:01

    Thanks for the help, I will see if I can pull the swing motor and see if that is the issue.

  4. #4Ext-ares2021-04-08 20:11

    So found the issue. It was just "froze" up. After we pushed on the boom with a skid, it turned under its own power.