As mentioned on an earlier post we recently put a new set of recaps on our old grader that purchased a few months ago & now I notice when roading the machine it does a fair bit of bouncing on the back end where the recaps were installed, when at about 3/4 speed. I wonder if tire pressure is the culprit? Maybe too high? The tire place put the tires on & I am not sure of the pressure at this point. Tires are not radials & are 14-24's I believe. Anyone know what the ideal pressure to run on these tires is?
Checked the tire pressure & they range from 34 psi to 31.5..............
If they are bias-ply tires, they get "square", and need about 50 miles to get round again.
Try a bit more pressure, we normally aim for 45-50psi on the bias ply tyres to try and reduce sidewall deflection that builds heat and shortens tyre life. In saying that they all bounce a little after sitting overnight etc , but generally smooth out after a few k's. Mike.
Hello Metalman, We run 40psi in an old Galion C160, and it bounces for a while after being parked, and sometimes it bounces because it wants to. I think that 31.5 - 34psi is on the low side (bad for tyre life and probably more bouncy), try increasing pressures and see how you go. Sometimes a bit of wheel lean helps too. Cheers.
Thanks..........we can try running the pressure up a bit & see what that does.
We run around 40 psi on our 12G with similar tyres. The bounce is almost unbearable around 3/4 speed, changing pressures or tyres makes little difference, although we've never run radials on this grader. If you power through the bounce, it rides perfectly at full speed, so we decided just to live with it. It's only a very narrow speed range that it occurs.
How about a left field suggestion...try slightly different pressures in the tyres...say 10%, the differing bounce response might cancel itself out. There is a very old thread about this somewhere on HEF. I think the effect is also called "loping".
It is the tires themselves. If they don't get the tire ground perfect before recapping you end up with a slightly out of round tire and thus the bounce. If they are a good company they might give you new ones. I have had to do this with tires on my dump truck because it bounced so bad after new recaps.