So they bought another maulden this summer. A week ago she started smoking. It was oil smoke..... Less than 500 hours on her. I shut her down, and figured I might be wrong, so I pulled the air filter and it was pretty dirty. I banged some dust out, called the shop for a new one, and went back to work. One new filter and there was no more smoke. Must have been fuel....sure didn't smell like it but hey. This week she started again.. Got worse as the day went on. Dealer said to take it to a deutz shop about an hour away, and they would cover the bill. So they tell me I am not running it hard enough. Basically it has too much power when I go full throttle, it runs too cool, the liner's glaze over, and the oil gets buy the rings. That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever been told. It does run cold, never above 150, and I did find it strange. The fall is setting in, guess we'll have to park her or put the cardboard to the front of the rad....as if.....do southern machines run a cooler thermostat because of the heat?
So what model of Deutz? Can you shift up a gear or two and slow the engine down to let it work harder? The glazing from running too cool is real, but you shouldn't run 150 on anything with a radiator that I've ever seen.
I think it's a 118hp. There is a high range, but it is hydrostatic drive. Basically you go full throttle, and go. A few really humid days this summer it might have ran 175. The other Mauldin is 2 years older and runs 195\200. I really wonder if it is a thermostat issue.
What model Deutz engine is it?
Not sure of the make. 2014, 118hp, liguid cooled, air to air, no electronics. Have to check out the tag next time I'm around it. Gonna be on the Volvo for a few days. Can't idle her down too much because the hydraulics don't work fast enough, and the machine is not built solid enough to kill the engine.
Old tractors did that. They'd sit around barely working in the wintertime, then that first day doing fieldwork they'd go through a bunch of oil. It'd just be a day. If that was true in your case, there'd be a lot of blow-by. Undoubtedly something is up with that thermostat. Aluminum pistons won't be fitting tight in the bore at those temps. The 7.8L engine in the 940B had to have the daylights worked out of it to break the rings in when the new motor was put in. It went through a pile of oil for about 350 hours or so. But then it went perfectly clean. Is there EGR on that engine? If so, there's a throttle valve in the intake, and that can do strange things. The turbo is also setup to run a lot of backpressure (to force exhaust gas over the boost pressure into the intake). When you get an exhaust leak, the turbo stalls, and you get a chugging. That makes for a few puffs of smoke. Other thing, is if they end up doing a bunch of idling, oil can make it's way past the seal in the compressor side of the turbo. Hope there could be something in there that helps.