I have tried three different batteries, one new and all I get with each battery is one click. What should I check next ? Suggestions would be appreciated Thanks
As long as the motor is not locked up and the battery will pass a load test, I suggest you check the cables followed by the starter. If you have already cleaned the connections on both ends of the battery cables, you may want to bypass them with jumper cables. Even if you test the voltage at the starter and get 13v, the cable can still be bad. For example if you removed the battery cable and replaced it with a telephone wire you would still measure 13v at the starter. However if you try to operate the starter that one small wire can not pass enough current to operate the starter. Battery cables can fail by corrosion at the terminals, in the cables or by failure of enough of the strands. If you bypass the cables and still won't turn, I would pull the starter and head for a good auto parts store and have it tested. You could have a bad solenoid or worn brushes. The quick check on brushes is to give the brush end of the starter a couple licks with a soft faced hammer. It the impact gets the brushes to seat the starter may work, but the brushes will still need to be replaced.
Thank you so much for your reply.I have tried to remove the starter to have it tested. I removed the three bolts but the starter will not release. Is there a special way to remove it ?Thanks
It might just stuck and need a slight wack with a rubber mallet or something. The starter on my Kubota sticks in place when the bolts are removed.
Thanks for your input Dave. I will give it a shot.
Another thing to try, is the wax trick. heat around the 3 bolt area, with a propane torch, get it to about 3-400ºF, if you can, then take a bees way candle, and melt it into the area where starter meets motor. Wax wicks in, and acts like penetrating oil. Give it a coupla whacks with a soft faced mallet, don't go overboard, you can break magnets in starter, if you hit it too hard. Once its out, have a look at the flywheel ring gear, to see if its chewed up, causing the starter drive to hang in. Also you might be able to pry against the ring gear, to see if the motor moves, or is siezed...