Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

77 Kenworth lighting

WCR73 ยท 2018-01-10 21:46

Fellas, Hoping someone has some wiring info for a 77 KW I'm working on. Been sitting 10 years. Owner trying to get it going for some short term work. It's having issues with pretty much all of the lighting circuits. Different circuits are doing different things... it's got all kinds of splices and butt connectors, it's a real mess behind the dash. Anyone have access to schematics for this old girl? It's so jacked up I can't even begin to repair, I suggested gutting it all and starting over. If I could at least see on a diagram how it "should" be wired, it would help a lot. As for the VIN... all I found was a 7 digit number: 152343S That's what's on the pillar, as well as what's on reg and insurance. I'm not at all familiar with KW's from the 70's, is that the VIN?? Thanks for any help

Replies4
  1. #1RZucker2018-01-10 21:51

    Vin sounds right. Find and clean every ground you can find. More than likely that's the issue.

  2. #2Truck Shop2018-01-10 21:52

    That's the vin the S stands for built in Seattle. Most of those Schematics are very hard to read or make out when they were new. Truck Shop

  3. #3WCR732018-01-10 22:09

    Thank you... yea I can't imagine a schematic from the 70's being very easy to read and/or navigate.... RZucker, is there a ground post behind the dash? Or are they all over?

  4. #4RZucker2018-01-10 23:26

    It's been a few years since I've worked on one that old, but check to see if it uses the grounding switches and make sure the switch panel is grounded well if it does. A lot of people don't realize that's how Kenworth wired things and the grounding switches for the relays completely blows their mind.