Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

773 bics

JamesPC35mr-2 · 2023-09-06 17:53

Hello, been here reading a while, think I’m posting not sure. 2008 773 worked great last night when I turned it off. BICS lights all flash when key is turned then all go out when it’s started. However, oil and hydraulic lights come on and unit stalls shortly after. If I push the controls it feels like I have normal hydraulics pressure. Machine jerks but cannot move because of brake system. Not sure how they are related or where to look help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Replies15
  1. #1willie592023-09-06 20:43

    When everything is operating properly, once you start the machine, drop the lap bar, and push the "Press to operate" button all four BICS lights should come on. If one or more go dark it will prevent operation of that function. Are you hearing three short beeps from the alarm when it malfunctions?

  2. #2JamesPC35mr-22023-09-07 18:10

    All lights come on when key is initially turned on, after starting no lights are on, except for oil and hydraulic lights. The alarm is constant then engine dies . I can hit override and move machine until stalls. Oil filter gets warm if I start enough. Machine feels like it has normal power.

  3. #3willie592023-09-07 20:01

    I'm not sure what's going on here, but that's not the way a Bobcat, especially a 773 works. First of all, are we sure we're talking about a 773? You note it's a 2008, they stopped making the 773 in 2002, by 2008 Bobcat was producing the S185. Aside from that, depending on what model we're working with, assuming it's a G series or later, when you first power up the ignition, even before you start it, you should hear one long beep from the alarm, just one long beep, not constant. That's the main controller (computer) doing a system test and also lets you know the alarm is working. Once you start it, no LED's are lit up on the BICS panel until you drop the seat bar, then the seat bar LED light comes on and stays lit. When you push the "Press to Operate" button, then the lift/tilt and traction LED lights come on and stay lit. Once you start the engine and begin operation, if there's a fault that the main controller is seeing you will hear three short beeps from the alarm to alert you, not a constant beep. That's the way a Bobcat is supposed to work, if yours is doing things differently than what I've noted then there's something seriously flipped out about your machine.

  4. #4ozarkag2023-09-07 20:21

    Looks like you're looking at the right side panel, with the square red warning lights. Willie is referring to the Bics tiny round green lights on the left panel, above the press for operate button. If the oil and hydraulic warning lights stay on after starting, that would be major problem in both engine oul pressure and hydraulic charge pressure, and machine will shut itself down in 30 seconds. Take a closer look, and post a picture or 2

  5. #5JamesPC35mr-22023-09-07 22:16

    Yes, I will definitely. I’ll make a video. Thank you for your help and excellent information and detail in you response. Here is a picture of my serial number.

  6. #6willie592023-09-07 22:46

    That s/n, that's a G series machine. Don't know what year it is, but for sure isn't 2008.

  7. #7JamesPC35mr-22023-09-08 10:06

    I made a video this morning . When I turn the key on we get one beep and all of the lights come on/flicker momentarily but the operate seat bar. None of the lower 4 lights will function. The over ride does work and I can move the machine. All other button functions work(at least light up when pressed) across the top too. Once started about 10 seconds the oil and hydraulic lights flash alternating be them, with a constant alarm, then machine dies. Picture is when I first turn the key on and get the single been.

  8. #8Nige2023-09-08 10:25

    Upload it to YouTube and link to the video is the way to do it. You can't upload videos direct.

  9. #9JamesPC35mr-22023-09-08 11:03

    Finally got the video linked up, Thanks

  10. #10willie592023-09-08 19:57

    Looks you have a computer communication problem. I don't know how to go about troubleshooting that problem, likely going to need a Bobcat tech

  11. #11JamesPC35mr-22023-09-08 21:22

    I talked to a friend he’s indicating that computers are starting to fail on these machines? I’m trying to find a working computer to swap. See if that does it?

  12. #12ozarkag2023-09-08 21:34

    Showing both charge hydraulics and engine oil pressure faults. I agree, could very likley be a failing computer, you could maybe try to look for a wiring issue affecting both sensor, a long shot maybe, especially as does still start and run, so would have to be a partial failure in a main harness. . A good bobcat tech should/ might have a test computer to swap in. Cause a new one, it's yours as soon as he plugs it in, even if it doesn't fix it. .

  13. #13willie592023-09-08 21:50

    On Bobcat G series machines, there's a processor at the BICS panel that routes all cab panel inputs and sends that info to the main controller (computer) in the lower frame. Likewise, the main controller sends info back to the BICS processor, Hr meter data, dummy lights, gauges values, those two components constantly communicate. The fact that they communicate enough to start and run, but then communication goes downhill from there, yeah, there's something flipped out with either the BICS processor or the main controller. Additionally, you're not getting the three short beeps warning that you should be getting on a 773G, instead it goes straight to full melt down mode. That's not normal.

  14. #14crewchief8882023-09-09 06:34

    wait until the machine shuts itself down, DO NOT KEY OFF ( if you key off the codes will be cleared from the display) press and hold the light button until the display changes and displays the active codes and post those codes . there may be a list of fault codes in the operators manual.

  15. #15JamesPC35mr-22023-10-02 01:52

    Thanks for the help, I sent the computer into be tested. They said it had a faulty section. They repaired it and sent it back. My original thought and confirmed by most here and home was the computer. Plugged it in fired right up and operated no problems. It’s nice to get help and advice. Thank you! I’ll keep plugging away on this thing to make it better. I have had the 773 about 4 months now. bought it’s at an auction, probably should have passed on this one, but I’ve work the bugs out now. Thanks.