Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

78 Ford L9000 w 6V92 ( Been Sitting )

planecrazzzy ยท 2014-04-01 16:14

. Hey Guys, I'm looking for some feedback... After failing to find local small dump trucks in MN area... OK... If I want an old rust bucket, Then I hit the Jackpot... Anywho, a relative I worked with years ago... Said he'd GIVE ME his 78 Ford L9000 w/ 6V92 He normally kept his equipment maintained , As he's getting older... He'll just have his Excavator Delivered to the Job.... ( He's pushing 72 ) I'm going to buy his Trail-eze 20 ton trailer... Drive my Ranger down there ( Arizona ) and load it on the trailer... Bringing Oil and tools with me... The Truck has been "Sitting" for a few years... I will buy 4 fresh Batteries... I'm not really worried about the Engine coming back to life... My concern is more with the Tires... The Truck is a 10 wheeler ( Tandem ) I figure if I lose a tire or two... I don't need all the tires in place running "Empty"... I could actually run it on 6 tires... Or 4 tires on the Trail-eze... What my question is... Air Pressure and traveling speed... I'm thinking 10 psi less in the tires...(110 psi ) and try to keep the speed 70 or under... and hope for the best... All the way to Upper Minnesota . . I'm not really sure How long it sat... Or... How UV may have weakened the rubber... But we're talking AZ... On a good note... This truck has NEVER seen salt....and never will if I can help it... . Feed back welcome, Sorry for the Loooooong post. . Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz . .

Replies43
  1. #1denver m farms2014-04-01 20:10

    Sounds like something we would do. What transimission and suspension does the truck have? If it was me I would run the tires at 100psi and stay at about 60mph. I like a 6v92 and most all detroits myself, I bet it's a good truck for you. I just about bought a 1976 9000 with a 6v82 a couple years ago but it was to far gone to be on the road.

  2. #206Pete2014-04-01 20:16

    You might not need all the tires but the DOT will for sure think you do and the fine will probably be more than all new tires. I would think running empty 7 or 8 year old tires would make it but I bet shipping it would be cheeper in the long run. By the time you figure fuel your time and even one road service call I bet it would be at your door for the same $. That is not even considering your hearing loss sitting behind that screaming jimmy for that long.

  3. #3Old Doug2014-04-01 20:28

    I dont think you will have to worry about going to fast. If i had any doubts about the steer tires i would replace them. Even if one gos and you dont crash haveing one replaced out on the side of the road will cost more than at a shop.I did what your about to do alot years ago. My dad and his buddys bought and sold old trucks to make extra money.

  4. #4planecrazzzy2014-04-01 22:00

    Yeah, I'll be looking at the Front tires with more care... One of the reasons "I" was thinking of not going TOO low on tire pressure was because I was concerned with Rubber rubbing Rubber... Plus... Lower pressure and the tire would have more foot... Which is bending the rubber more...? The Truck has a 10 speed.... I'm not positive, But I think it's Hendrick suspension.. Or is that just a walking beam ? Glad to hear youz guyz agree a little... I was born at Night... But it wasn't LAST NIGHT..... HA ! . . Gotta Fly... . . PS I'll probably head out later this week... Semi retired... Nothing else to do right now... I'm gonna try to get a small excavating co together once the Truck and trailer can transport my Backhoe & Skid Loader. . . But... I have plenty of work on the property to use everything... Trenches , 1/2 mile Driveway , Runway for the Airplane. Need a lot of gravel runs... and let's not forget snow removal... .

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2014-04-01 22:38

    All that and no picture of the truck? I would do it, just check it over good and seriously consider new steer tires. That will make for 2 spares for the trip home. Also, before you get started, check what permits you will need for the states you will have to travel to get home. Trip permits are expensive. Sometimes you can save some money buying them in advance. Sounds like an adventure.

  6. #6planecrazzzy2014-04-02 06:02

    Trip Permit ? . I don't get it... Why would I need a permit to travel empty... Not for Hire...? . Yeah... I haven't seen the truck in years... But I know the guy always takes care of his stuff. . I asked him to send a picture... No Joy. . Gotta Fly...

  7. #7planecrazzzy2014-04-02 08:38

    Although... That got me thinking... I "DO" need the transfer title paper for the trip back... . Gotta Fly... . . .

  8. #8old-iron-habit2014-04-02 09:01

    How about current DOT inspection and stickers. I often do what you are doing. I travel the secondary highways, stay away from the scales, and take my time. A couple times I ran only at night. Out of site, out of mind. The not for hire sign is a good thing. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

  9. #9Deere500a2014-04-02 12:05

    New Mexico requires a permit to cross the state. Check with the States & have a logbook ready. Good luck

  10. #10monster762014-04-02 12:55

    I'd run full pressure an aired up tire usually run cooler Imo keep the speed as low as you can and do it I done this bring junk down from and to Florida and I've had the best luck with aired up tires

  11. #11planecrazzzy2014-04-02 14:33

    Hey Guys, I've been figuring out the paper work today... I'll need the Title... I'll register it in MN , get a 90 travel paper and probably plates... Also, I talked with Butch about WHERE the truck has been sitting... Sounds like it has been sheltered from direct sunlight... That should help with Tire issues... I'm agreeing with Monster about Tire pressure... But I was thinking 10 psi low.... 110psi... . . I'll probably head out next week... . I'll be posting pictures later. . Gotta Fly... . . PS Yes... I've thought about grabbing an old log book... and documenting travel , just to be on the safe side... . . .

  12. #12planecrazzzy2014-04-02 16:32

    Pictures of the Truck . Hey Guys, I wrote Butch and asked for a picture... Looks like he took them today... As "Free" trucks go.... This is a pretty good one... Something I noticed he changed since I drove this truck 25 years ago... Floatation tires in the rear... Looks like concrete truck rims... Usually we had rims without that "Lip"... The lip would hold pea gravel or dirt... from the Job Site.. Hmmm, I'm guessing this isn't "L" 9000 Got info about it ? . Comments welcome. . Gotta Fly... . . PS He had the Bed built with tempered steel... Doesn't dent easy... Also Tailgate is Double Hinged. and... The sides of the Box... everything slants "down"... So dirt or rocks slide off... . .

  13. #13wilko2014-04-02 18:31

    I'd take it to a good local shop, tell them what you're doing and have them give it a once over. Grease and inspect everything.Then I'd get it DOT inspected with fresh stickers. Then I'd run around local to see if any gremlins pop up before I hit the road. Don't be surprised if the brake S-Cam bushings are sticky and the brakes want to hang up. Ditto on getting permits for each state in advance. You don't want to get red tagged in the middle of nowhere. This all applies to the trailer also.

  14. #14wilko2014-04-02 18:33

    Did I mention change the fuel filter and have half a dozen more under the seat?

  15. #15planecrazzzy2014-04-02 19:42

    . I'll be bringing tools with me... and he mentioned a case of filters... He's gathering the stuff that goes with the truck. Gotta Fly... . .

  16. #16planecrazzzy2014-04-09 07:02

    Almost ready to Go... . Just about got everything ready to go... Had a Hell of a time getting a D.O.T. number... Driving me nuts... Put the wife on that project... SHE DID IT !!! . I talked with a local State Trooper... he said I didn't need the DOT number yet... But try explaining THAT to ever scale from AZ to MN . . There were some old Magnetic Signs laying around here... I pulled the Vinyl lettering off.... except the Phone Number and other Misc... Put the New Company Name ( Think fast , DOT needs a name ) All the Names with "Mike's" this or that were taken..... Figures I was mentioning how I was a 3rd generation Excavator... The Wife mentioned 3G , Good enough. . . Anywho, Doctored up the signs... It'll look better than Duct Tape and Magic Marker... . . Gotta Fly... . .

  17. #17kshansen2014-04-09 18:49

    Sound like the wife is going to be asking for a raise She took care of DOT and now she is a graphic artist for coming up with the clever name:cool2 Sounds like a keeper

  18. #18The Peej2014-05-13 13:57

    Did you get the truck back? Any adventures?

  19. #19planecrazzzy2014-05-13 14:31

    Adventures . No adventure yet... Well... The Wallet has been on an adventure... I have a Mechanic that works on it... He changed the Foot Valve control... Sort of an Air Manifold area... and he's been working on a Trailer emergency parking brake air valve... Plus... some secondary system valve... Once he finishes these... It should build Air in Primary and Secondary Air... Then I might have him change all the Brake Diaphragms... Since it's been sitting... and I hit small mountain at the beginning of the trip... . . Once things are ready... I'll fly out there and the adventure will begin. . . Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz . .

  20. #20DoyleX2014-05-13 18:17

    Ive brought 2 trucks home from 2 different coasts and a machine from Nebraska. The only thing they are going to care about is a bill of sale and proof of insurance. They WILL hassle you for no IFTA account, inspection sticker, trip permit, log book. You can buy a IFTA fuel permit and registration permit at any scale. Or do what I do just play stupid. Out of the 4000 miles ive ran bringing junk home only once I got caught. Might have something to do with bombing over a stop and weigh scale at 25 mph in Billings. Watch the weather in the higher elevations, snow has been falling yet. Get a good atlas with location and direction of scales a cb would be lifesaver if you run outlaw.

  21. #21planecrazzzy2014-05-13 19:59

    Thanks !!!! That actually helps me feel better !!! Yes , I will have a log ready... But the other stuff... I'll play stupid and pay for what I need IF they ask... I'm going to go to a car wash and clean up what I can... I have a "Weight Station" app on my phone.... But some big ones I can't "Dodge".... So I'm looking for the Flat path.... Going to OK... then North... I'll carry "Copies" of my Titles & Reg.... and I'll have paperwork for Temp Insurance... Thank You for the Tips... I'll show this to my Wife . . . Gotta Fly... ..

  22. #22planecrazzzy2014-08-21 21:57

    Flying out to get the truck this Sunday... It should be ready to pass scales... and safe to take over the small mountains in AZ two thousand miles to Minnesota. . Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz . .

  23. #23Hanstrans2014-08-22 00:51

    So did you end up changing out the tires after all? Seems like it'll have to be done some time or another anyway.

  24. #24planecrazzzy2014-08-22 06:48

    No... No tires were changed... But I'll have a spare front tire that I'll bring along... Rear tires are Single Floatation Tires... If any need replacing... it'll be a Field truck... $$$ I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a used floatation... So I figure $500 ballpark for one tire...plus field mount... . I did get all the Diaphragms replaced in 6 brake pods. and the truck holds air for two days... Talked to the wife... Once the trip "Starts"... We are committed to getting it to MN . . Gotta Fly... Mike PS Changed the company signs to "JAM Excavating" ( "Just Another Mike" .... Because Mike's Excavating it taken ) Gotta Fly...

  25. #25dirtmonkey2014-08-22 07:09

    PM sent.

  26. #26planecrazzzy2014-08-29 07:37

    Blew a Head Gasket before the Summit... Didn't go 20 miles... Towing was $180 per hour... it cost $520 to get it back to the shop. I'm going to have it repaired... and sell both the Truck and Trailer in AZ... . Gotta Fly... . .

  27. #27denver m farms2014-08-31 11:50

    Dang, that was alot of build up for nothing. Sorry about that.

  28. #28old-iron-habit2014-09-01 00:38

    Wonder if the blown head gasket was the reason it has been parked for so long. Dang it. That's a rough one.

  29. #29planecrazzzy2014-09-01 20:38

    It was running great before it "Blew"... The Mechanic I'm using said the in frame overhaul might have been done by a "Lesser" mechanic... I'm sure sitting a couple years didn't help things... . I haven't contacted the mechanic I'm using on this project since I got back to MN He was already busy with another job when this problem exploded... I'll write him soon to find out when he's planning on working on it... He's fast... So once he starts... I'll put some advertizing on craiglist in AZ , also LA and Vegas area . Trailer has to sell first... Then Truck... Or package deal... . Gotta Fly... . .

  30. #30JDOFMEMI2014-09-01 20:48

    Too bad for the poor luck. Hopefully when you get it fixed you will come out on the deal. Looks like it would have been a good truck for you, had it made the trip.

  31. #31planecrazzzy2014-09-01 21:15
  32. #32RZucker2014-09-01 22:26

    Uh oh. that's not good.

  33. #33RZucker2014-09-01 22:35

    Sorry, backing up a bit here, A "Head gasket" on a 6V92? Huh? They don't have one. Compression rings on the liners and water rings and oil rings between the head and block. what were the symptoms of your failure? just curious.

  34. #34planecrazzzy2014-09-02 06:30

    The Mechanic looked at the Dipstick... No water in the oil... The water was coming out of relief tubes above the pan... on both sides... Also , we turned it over before we left.... Felt like water in the cyl... It wouldn't crank much... He said if it was the sleeves... Water would be in the oil. . Gotta Fly... .

  35. #35kshansen2014-09-02 09:24

    Been a few years since I had a 92 apart but seems like there are orings sealing the cylinder to the block above the ports in the cylinders. If they were to leak water would get on top of picton and casue hard start that would also almost surly bend some rods, water would come out of the air box drains down by the base gasket area. If it was one of the seals between the head and block most likely would go straight into the base not in to the cylinder. Couold also be getting in to the cylinder and air box from a cracked head .

  36. #36RZucker2014-09-02 21:28

    Air box drains on both sides leaking coolant? More than likely the aftercooler under the blower went bad. Cracked head or injector sleeve usually shows on one side only.

  37. #37planecrazzzy2014-09-22 20:53

    I passed this info along... Thanks.

  38. #38planecrazzzy2014-09-22 20:56

    Just wondering about a price... How much would some of you estimate on a price if the engine was torn down... Push the pistons and sleeves... and put back together...( 6V92 ) Just looking for a ballpark price... . Gotta Fly... JAM

  39. #39Komatsu 1502014-09-23 06:29

    On our old 92 it was just a liner seal. Old truck so we just re sealed the one and took a chance. Not a very big job. Truck ran fine until the driver saw a big oil leak from the air compressor and decided to drive it another 10 miles. The reason we only changed one is odd as normally would never do that. I didn't quite believe it but an experienced Detroit mechanic told me it was common in our climate for the left front liner seal to go because .....of the block heater.

  40. #40planecrazzzy2014-09-23 19:03

    Not really sure just what gave out... But it has been sitting in HOT AZ for a few years... . Gotta Fly... . .

  41. #41RZucker2014-09-23 21:10

    Big DURR for me, I totally forgot 92s have wet liners. Too many 71s on the brain. :Banghead

  42. #42planecrazzzy2014-11-03 09:16

    6 month Nightmare Well, I gave the Dump Truck BACK.... after dumping about 4K Then there was the Trailer... I had it hauled to the Richie Bros Auction in Las Vegas Hauling it cost $550..... Bought it for $7,500 I'll be lucky to get $3500 at auction... ( Which they get their cut ) . . I'll lose about 8K on this.... But right now... I don't care. I just want it over..... and move on. I'll go back to looking for a 5-6 yard dump truck.... and a LOT closer... I'll worry about a trailer later... . . Gotta Fly...

  43. #43planecrazzzy2014-12-19 11:28

    . Just finishing this up... The Auction brought $1750. for the Trailer.... Hmmm The auction "Cut" is 15 %..... But that's ABOVE $2500.... Under $2500 their cut is 25%..... . . I'm just glad to be moving forward now.... . This has been a 10 month nightmare.... . Back to looking for a clean 5 yd Dump Truck... . Gotta Fly... JAM . PS I've got other things that soak up the wallet green... .