Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

780 CK hydraulic leaks

drgunlimited · 2025-03-14 17:09

I am trying to get a 780ck ready to sell. It has been setting for awhile and I wanted to make sure things worked. It was very low on hyd/Trans fluid so I was adding fluid when I noticed it leaking onto the ground. I have attached a picture of where it seems to be coming from... you can see a stream running off of the bolt...

Replies11
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-03-15 07:34

    Whelp, cracked pump. Kinda happens around this time. Maybe it’s just leaking?

  2. #2drgunlimited2025-03-15 10:25

    I was worried someone would say that... what leaked first was milky so I was thinking it froze and cracked.... Where does a guy find parts or new pump?

  3. #3Vetech632025-03-15 10:31

    Your best bet is to find the manufacturers tag on the pump and google it. That embossed emblem in your pic indicates it's a Commercial Shearing gear pump( I think). Could be a commercial vane pump If you have no pump tag, get the case pump part number and google that

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-03-16 03:38

    First thing to do is clean it up good and confirm the pump case is broken. There's enough "wet" looking oil on the pump it could be a blown seal on the pump cover or a bad or leaking hose connection. Thinking if it did (partly) freeze it might blow a seal before cracking the case.

  5. #5drgunlimited2025-03-16 15:19

    Is it possible for it to be an o-ring/seal for the end cap that could be replaced?? That corner seems where the fresh leak is... there is no tag or number visible... cold and windy today and short on tools so I couldn't pull end cap off...

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-03-16 22:38

    There obviously needs to be some kind of seal or gasket there. Clean it off better and stick an inspection mirror in there if need be.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-03-17 07:56

    Not sure, just gonna have to clean it up and see. It may have just pushed the end cap seal out. Is that the lowest point on the pump?

  8. #8stinky642025-03-17 09:02

    If you pull that cap off it will be abundantly clear if it's cracked from the shiny inside, although there is fluid seeping from that top fitting sure looks like a crack between the r/s studs. Don't need to worry about losing any of that fluid. Just a suggestion.

  9. #9drgunlimited2025-03-17 14:58

    What's a 18,000 pound paper weight go for now days... motor runs great... lol... I have an old farmall I could repower maybe....

  10. #10drgunlimited2025-03-17 15:31

    Yeah

  11. #11HarleyHappy2025-03-17 21:33

    Well, you kinda knew before you asked and we all roll the dice in older stuff, we don’t take care of. You are not the only one. We all do the best we can do, or at least, thats what we tell our wives. Just gives us an excuse to spend more cheddar.