Good morning. I'm trying to throw a bid together a job for 8 797B Cat haul truck dissemble and relocation. Was wondering if anyone has done one of them before and if they had any pictures or experience cutting the beds into 2 or 3 pieces. Everything else is pretty straight forward as far as disassembly and loading to me, it's just the beds we are trying to figure out how to do efficiently and for reassembly.
How far is it getting moved.?
One of the mines in Wyoming to Canada. So a couple thousand miles. Not 100% where as we are just doing the dissemble part of it.
Probably the best suggestion regarding disassembly of the chassis (after removing the dump body) is to get hold of a copy of the Cat Special Instruction for assembly and "reverse engineer" it so that the machine comes apart exactly the same way it originally went together. It makes it a lot easier for the people involved in the assrembly at the final destination. EDIT: Just saw your comment above. You're not going to care much about how they come apart but I can assure you the guys at the other end will........
Coal or rock bodies.? If the latter does the body have wear liners fitted.? Has anybody looked at pricing for moving the dump bodies in one piece as opposed to cutting them up and moving them in 3 pieces.? I understand the issue of permitting, etc, but price-wise the difference may surprise you. It's not like they are particularly heavy, just wide and bulky. Even if they are cut up it's still going to need at least 2 maybe 3 lowboys to move the pieces versus one.
Yea I'm reading sis quite a bit. Most of its pretty straight forward as far as reversing all the assembly procedures for the truck itself. The main thing I'm worried about is the truck beds. I believe they are coal beds with liners. I know there will need to be alignment pieces welded onto the truck bed when we cut it apart so the guys welding it back together on the other end won't cuss too much haha. I don't think they want anything to do with shipping the beds in 1 peace. Mainly just trying to get a general idea of how to do it in 2 or 3 pieces. Most of the assembly procedures for a new truck delivery to the mine is in like 10 pieces and they weld the entire bed together, not in 2 or 3 large pieces.
Somewhere there should also be a Special Instruction regarding the assembly of the body. Again it's a case of reverse-engineering it. The complication comes in the form of the wear liners that have probably been replaced a couple of times during the life of the body and now bear no resemblance to what was on it when it was built. And of course the seams will be down below the wear plates. As a comment I think those bodies were originally shipped in 4 sections because the centre part with the pivot point on it should not be disturbed during assembly. So a centre section, LH & RH Sides (each of the three seciton to include a portion of the front wall), and the canopy. If a Part Number can be found for the body (data plate on the centre rib of the front wall RH side) then it may be possible to use that to track down the Instructions for assembly.
These machines are 797B's Serial JSMs and I've seen some of the welding procedures in REHS0963. It looks like it has 12 main pieces and some misc items.
I do see they have shipping assemblies in 5 major pieces. Still more than 2 or 3 haha. In my mind I would imagine that you would need to cut the canopy off, and then straight down the middle for 3 piece shipping or just straight down the middle for a 2 piece.
Cat don't do that because it means line boring the pivot assembly after assembly of the dump body. Komatsu used to do it (machine the pivot bores after welding) but I'm not sure whether they still do. There are multiple Special Instructions for body assembly. That's why getting the body part number is so important in order to identify which specific assembly procedure applies to it. REHS0963 is for an MSD body and I'm not sure the mines in the Powder River basin ever had any of those, they were designed for hard rock mines. Try M0088109.
Is that the correct media number? When I tried it, it brought up A New Welding Process And Drain Hole Location For the Carbody Cover Assembly Is Now used On Certain 374F Excavators and 374F Mobile Hydraulic Power Units {4150} (M0088109)
I found it through looking for the body in Product Structure then searching for Special Instructions. It was at the top of the list, something like “assembly of the high performance body”. Try M0088019........
Intresting post.
why are you going cut up tray we shift in one piece. Back under lift lowloader remove wheels , and off we tie down first
I think 32 ft is a bit wide for some controlled intersections. Not going across the outback eh? cheers GM