Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’81 825 Bobcat drive issue

Amelia's dad ยท 2010-04-19 22:31

Hey all, new to the forum, and a new owner of a used bobcat. Bought the 825 with a 911 backhoe attachment a few weeks back. Ran it around the yard, picked up the attachment (tad heavy for the machine..but...) loaded it all up and went home. I got home and the next day went out to learn to drive this thing without breaking myself or something near me if I showed up to a jobsite with it..I cleaned up the pasture...moved some logs around and had some fun, all was working well. One thing to point out at this time is that the hydraulics seemed to whine a lot..a cavitation type noise..but fluid levels were good...however, noticed they very milky... As I was messing with the hoe getting it back into position to a spot I could deal with the milky oil...I blew a hose on the backhoe...ok, no biggie, its been sitting for some time and was apparently weak..new hose and away we go. But I digress, as I was booming up and swinging I "jumped" the machine a bit due to inexperience with the attachment and in turn the steering levers started bouncing back and forth and jerking the machine..(which is when the hose blew). After the new hose was on and I was moving the machine to a safe location for cleaning the hyd. system..I suddenly had no drive power on the right stick...it would howl loud and not do much when pushing the right stick forward...only in the forward motion though..in reverse both sides have plenty of power... Next step...drained the oil out of the machine (33gallons when the book says there should only be 27?) and cleaned the belly pan, and what lines I could..changed out filters(all 3) (no metal in any of the filters) gave some adjustment to the right hand lever...and bolted it all back together. Same problem...still no power in the right hand stick going forward..backwards works great..still a hydraulic whine, but previous owner said it had always done that. Prior service on it shows an inspected and replaced pump on one side with an inspection (said to be good) on the other.. Could this be a relief valve? When the machine "jumped" back and forth popped it? Could a lever come out of adjustment from that? Any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance! D.

Replies5
  1. #1maytag2010-04-20 02:22

    drive problem If this is a conventional hydrostatic drive(I believe it is) sounds like you have a bad high pressure relief valve in the "forward" direction. You can verify this by switching the "forward and reverse" high pressure reliefs and see if forward works correctly and you should have no reverse if the valve is faulty. Good luck and be safe, Maytag

  2. #2stovein2010-04-20 09:12

    Sounds more like a drive motor seal went out so instead of that motor driving the oil just flows back into the chaincase/reservoir.

  3. #3Amelia's dad2010-04-20 10:00

    Yes, hydrostatic...These were my thoughts...maybe the "jumping" popped a valve as somehow maybe I spiked the hydraulic system? I was fully extended when the hose blew... Would that not cause the machine to work equally as poor in both directions? Thanks for the input guys, I hope to get that lid off the machine tomorrow likely and check out these things so far.

  4. #4Amelia's dad2010-05-04 20:38

    Sorry it has taken me so long to update, just been crazy busy. So, popped the hydraulic cover off and while doing an inspection of the relief valves noticed a hose from the (closest to engine) motor had what appeared to be fraying, for lack of a better word, and the cover of the hose unwound, so it appeared like oil could be just bypassing right through that hose ...changed the hose out...and took the reliefs out and inspected all of them. Nothing appeared wrong with the reliefs, but, I am presuming that doesn't mean they/one isn't faulty...but, what I would like to do, is know if there is a simple way to tell which motor drives which side?

  5. #5mermaid10x2014-02-04 16:53

    i see this is an older post but i thought i might still be able to contact you regarding your bobcat 825. i have an 825 in need of some parts and i also live in bc. i need a final drive assembley and was wondering if you had spare parts or perhaps parting your 825 out. can you respond with a private message or perhaps an email to [email protected] thanks