Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ripping up asphual driveway best way?

case310350 ยท 2010-04-21 21:59

Need to rip up an asphalt driveway using the skidsteer. I have a tooth bucket and forks. I was planing on getting the forks under the asphalt and popping it up. Is this the best way? If you have done this before , could you pass on any info/ the best way to do this.

Replies5
  1. #1Glen Bell2010-04-21 22:10

    I was takingout several stumps next to our paved driveway using the forks. Let me tell you it's relatively easy to rip up the pavement even when not meaning to. Oh well, got the stumps too....just a bit more work. Time in the skid is all good though....:drinkup

  2. #2CM19952010-04-21 22:51

    I have taken up a fair amount of asphalt with a skid and a mini. My suggestion would be to use the tooth bucket and just peel it like an orange. Get the teeth under the asphalt and either peel it up if it's thin enough or flip the slabs over if its thick. Keep it clean as you go. Are you loading the material in a truck?

  3. #3CT18fireman2010-04-22 11:31

    The only thing I can add is to try to flip the pieces onto the drive itself this helps break them up. It also helps keep chunks of asphalt out of the base material. Makes cleanup a lot easier. I try to position the truck so that I can load into and make turns on the aphalt not on the base. Again avoid rutting up the base. Even if you are going to work the base, why have to do extra?

  4. #4Allgood2010-04-22 14:59

    I guess it depends on the size machine you have. My Tak TL150 just rips it out like sod. I slide the bucket under until I have a bucket full and then just lift and rip that section out; repeat over and over until job is done. With a 4-5" driveway, I can stack 3 or 4 slabs before having to load into dump truck. Any more than that and I get a bit tippy.

  5. #5xcmark2010-04-22 18:43

    tooth bucket for sure, with forks at some point you will have a slab crack as your lifting it into the truck or flip off and hit someone!