Hi all. I have a chance to buy a Terex 82-30 crawler and could use some advise as to what to look for as far as week areas on the machine and what the general feeling is towards these machines as far as being used for some farm work such as brush clearing burying rock piles and general dirt pushing. All I know so far about the unit is that its a good runner, undercarriage is fair and once the machine gets warmed up from working is that hi gear seems soft or like it could be slipping a little. Any suggestions and direction anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
We had one, ironage. I thought it was a good machine. They're a fairly large dozer, just a bit too big for our application... but it sure was a "pusher"... :cool2 You'll need fairly large hearing protection, too... OCR
Run Run Sounds to me like a problem from the start.Get something that you can get parts for.
Yup... parts could be an issue. OCR
Trany pump seems to be the first to go Last one that I found was from hoss in Dallas. Didnt have enough arms and legs so had the endplates gound and replaced the seals Fixed the trany but not the noise.
Ya not sure what im going to do about the machine yet. I will be getting some pictures soon so hope that will help me in my decision. I contacted a couple dealers about parts and they assured me parts are still available but price and time frame to get them may be the issue, other than that they all said the terex were a decent machine and served there customers well over the years.
They might have been a good machine when they were in production. Now they are a mess that takes more work to keep them running than what you will get accomplished using the machine. If you have time and lots of mechanical experience it will be an expensive hobby. If you are on the down hill side of fifty you better be in great shape. Working on them will beat you up.
I believe they were what you'd call a fuel hog.
Here is a picture of the old girl. Looks like shes seen better days but until I go have a look guess its hard to say just how bad or good it might be.
Uggh... not too good... Looks like the UC is plum gone??? Think I'd refer to John C.'s post #7... :cool2 OCR
I think i would let that old girl stay there and be looking for a young girl!!!!! A few things i see right off is no battery box cover probably because needs help started every day.Those track pads are smoother then a babys bottom.The seat has a lot to desire.Those are just a few things i see,so what about the things you can't see. I thought there was a post on here some place about not being able to get sprocket for the Terex dozer. The plus side is, she has got CHROME!!!!!!! stack.
I have put in quite a few hours on the 82-20, 82-30, and even an 82-50. Check the radiator if you can. The radiators on those machines clog really bad with dirt and dust, leading to overheating and then eventual engine failure. That machine looks beat, as most of them did by the time they had 4000 or 5000 hours on them. In my opinion, all those Terex machines were cheap, throwaway dozers. "When the paint fades, it is time to trade", was our motto with them. Also, on the 82-30's I ran, they did not seem to have much torque. To move any amount of dirt in a day, you had to wind her up tight, run really fast, in high gear most of the time, and push a few wheelbarrows of dirt on each pass. It was nearly impossible to make any production pushing a full blade of dirt any distance at all. A similar sized Cat dozer, would move twice as much dirt in the same hours, and work half as hard doing it.
a friend of mine had an 8220b for quite a while, I ran it a little, and it actually was an excellent performer, but the stupifying noise it produced repulsed me so terribly I just couldn't wait to get away from it. A 7G would be like in heaven compared to that.
Huh???... WHAT??? ... :lmao OCR... lol
I reackon if you got a Cat D7 of simmiliar age, any money you had to spend on it would be money well spent and if you had to sell it you would have no problem finding a buyer. The Terex is best left to a collector with deep pockets or the scrap man.It doesn't really matter if it's a good one....which it doesn't look like.
Here's a little more information, and history, about the beloved C-6/82-30... http://www.contrafedpublishing.co.n...th+and+reliability+-+The+Euclid+C-682-30.html The only think I would add to the article is where it states... Ours had a U blade with tilt, and the tilt control was a side ways mounted rocking type pedal, operated with your left foot, and it projected from the deck plate... I always thought it was unhandy as hell. They also had nitrogen filled cylinder type accumulators, instead of recoil springs, and on ours... one side would leak off a little, if it was cold out... below 0° type cold. It wasn't a big issue, think it did it twice, so I bought a nitrogen bottle and rigged up a method to recharge it... worked fine. The fellow we bought it from kept the ripper, so we also put a Carco 60,000 pound winch on it, 3/4 Improved Plow Steel rope never had a chance...lol The winch was a bit unhandy too, because it wasn't a true "free spool", it would spool out ok... just not by hand. ... We bought it from a guy in Great Falls MT, then he bought another, newer one, said he liked them... OCR
Here's my thoughts- I have an 82-30B- It's an awesome toy! I use it for messing around like you plan to do. They are built like a bull, I don't think you need high gear for pushing, I love the awesome sound of the Detroit. pretty sure people a half mile away wonder what the hell is busting loose over there, LOL! If that machine runs good and pushes dirt, it'll do what you want and if you can buy it for around scrap price, you can do your work and sell it for scrap anytime and not be out anything.
my advise (you paid nothing for it): hire it done.
I personally don't see any fun or satisfaction in hiring something done.
Well I still haven't decided if I am going to buy the old girl but from what im hearing its either you love em or hate em depending on your experience with terex. The price is a bit more than scrap price so not a lot of money if it works good for my needs. On the other hand if I did buy it and have a problem it sounds like I could be in for a long expensive repair bill. Hiring it done would be a lot easier if there was a major break down, however I wouldn't be able to have all the work done at once and would need to get the guy back 5 or 6 times to complete everything. The closest machine around for rent is 2 hours away and the owner is usually booked right up so having my own machine would be preferable. I have been looking at other machines, D6,D7,TD15 and TD20's however they all have a much larger price tag. Im not stuck that I need something right now but having a machine for the upcoming summer would be nice so we could get started on some of our work.
Most of the Terex dozers were good in their day but afraid to say there over. Parts are getting very hard to find, and unless your mechanical and can do repairs yourself it will be nothing but scrap.Very few mechanics out would have any experience on them or with their age want to. Like someone said earlier the UC looks shot but the trany problem sounds worse and that's just the start. Got a 8240 here still going strong but that's today lol.
Looks pretty tough, we bought a 82-20B a few yrs ago fairly cheap but looked brand new compared to that one, I wouldn't go into to many bluffs with that one with no brush guarding. Let me know if your going to buy it, I have a shop manual and a parts manual for it I believe, which you will need because if you are buying from redhead you'll need to give them the part numbers cause they don't have anything. Parts not a lot more than cat I thought just take about 2 to 3 weeks to get, come from a big mothballed warehouse in Texas full of obsolete parts, could get pretty much anything, but less there all the time. Ours was converted over to Cat undercarriage so those parts u can get jobber. Doesn't take long to spend 20 or 30 thousand on an old beast like that without much labour, we just use ours for dirt work now, got a newer Caterpillar to use, at least we can get our money out of it. Didn't want to get any deeper in the Terex, nice to drive, but you have to get used to a lot of leaks and daily maintenance. Ours was pretty good on fuel, but we didn't run it full throttle, too loud and didn't find much difference. One thing about where we are there is definitely nothing cheap around here, but it doesn't take long to get buried in an old machine if you don't do some custom work to pay for the repairs, and a crawler that large isn't easy to move around. Where abouts are you at in Sask.
Hey shaunw7708 im at Naicam, where abouts are you? I had heard that some guys converted over to Cat u/c but was advised against due to the price and the actual dozer value. Guess if the machine was like new and you plan to keep it for a long time that would be a good option. We had a S-7 Euclid scraper a few years back and parts wern't to bad to come by for it but ya without a parts number good luck going through redhead.
so you buy this old tractor and it has a minor failure which takes 5 or 6 times to get a service man out to fix it at 130 odd bucks/hour plus parts, if you are lucky enough to find them. do you really think this is better than hiring a contractor? I am positive you can find a guy who will agree to bring enough machinery and manpower to clean up whatever you have to do pronto, and you aren't responsible for a dime. I fail to see why this is such a negative.
ironage, nobody converts the undercarriage now because it would be way to expensive just to get the other undercarriage let alone get it put on. There was a couple of 82-20's at the richie brothers sale sold for 23000 and 27000, but they were really mint from what I was told. Unless you are clearing 160 acres, I would just get my name in with someone good around the area and budget an amount per year and book it with him. Being a farmer I know its hard not to just buy the equipment use it and then sell it later, but it isn't quite the same with a crawler. The guys around here either want it all done at once if they have deep pockets, or they do so much a year, and if its a bad year they don't do anything. Just remember farming is a marathon not a sprint, the guys that get too much done at once have trouble keeping up with cleanup if they don't have a crew of hired men. If you are really set on buying a crawler, I would advise finding a nice G with brush guarding, you should be able to find one for between 30 and 40000, thought they were a little prehistoric compared to our Terex, but they will hold their value better and more around, if that is way out of your budget then hire the contractor. There is no bargains on heavy equipment, if they are good they are expensive, if not they are cheap. We spent 20000 on the d7h we bought the first year we had it. That's why everyone around just hires us, they don't have to learn how to run it, fix it or move it and they can get it done when they want with no risk. And if you can find someone with a pin on rake its that much better, I'd never let anyone push any of my brush without one. Not sure about up there, but the rm around here has started hauling rocks off for nothing if they can get them. I am at Indian Head.