Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

86 case 450 C — Pros and Cons looking at buying

707pc50 ยท 2012-01-09 12:59

Im looking at a 86 case 450c dozer. Wondering if anyone has any input on this machine. Ive been looking for a dozer for a while for light road work, small flats, clearing and grading jobs. This is about the size I am looking for. My mechanic mentioned that this machine has independent gear shifters for each track that take a bit of getting used to, I am not a super experienced dozer operator, mainly have used rental machines with joystick controls, but I am sure I could figure this out if it isn't something way off the wall. Anything I should be looking for when I go check this machine out?

Replies8
  1. #1bigshow2012-01-09 16:17

    I've spent quite a bit of time on two 450C's, and they were both great trim tractors. They are fairly light for there size, Which can be good on slope work and soft ground, but in heavy cuts and hard ground can be a bit of a pain. They are tough, I have put them on there sides and it hardly phases them, they carry their own weight, no doubt about it. A 450 will move the same amount of dirt as a D11, might take a little bit longer and require you to think but it CAN be done. One blade at a time......

  2. #2bigshow2012-01-09 19:24

    I forgot one thing..... Due to the placement of the drive controls on older case tractors, i.e. In between your legs, make sure your good and secure in the seat or else your groin can make swift and sudden contact with the F-N-R levers and have you hurting! As far as the directional control of the machine it really isn't that hard, granted there is no joystick just 3 little levers that move back and forth, and the blade control consists of two separate levers, closest one to the operator controls blade lift and tilt, furthest from you controls blade angle. Really simple design, no electonics, just a good little bulldozer.

  3. #351kw2012-01-09 20:31

    They are a good quick little dozer. Isnt that hard to run after you get the hang of the wiggle sticks.

  4. #4707pc502012-01-09 21:39

    Thanks, I talked to the owner today and will drive over to check it out day after tomorrow. Im gonna bring my mechanic operator buddy to shake it down. 3700 hrs. Does price seem fair? One thing that doesn't seem ideal is he said it had street pads on it, that he had welded some rebar on to for some traction. I will be doing a bit of steep wet work, will this be an issue, he said the rebar is worn out, but assuming I could just weld new pieces on? Thanks sounds like a good machine

  5. #5CASE CRAZY2012-01-10 11:23

    Hello, i am the owner of a 450B dozer, it is a year or two older than the machine u speak of but is basically the same machine, all i have to say is that they are great machines, relatively easy to work on and very dependable, and their is nothing to running them. If you have any experience at all on a dozer the steering sticks will be no problem at all for you. Hope you get the machine.

  6. #6thebaz2012-01-10 17:41

    "3700 hrs. Does price seem fair? " I didn't see a price, but if this machine has been looked after that is very low hours. The Case 455c/450c is the last in a long and successful production for Case in this range, so you are buying the benefit of years of R&D. The motors are strong and long lasting, the transmissions are bulletproof as they share the same components as the larger Case crawlers. I have owned a 455C since new and it has done 10,000 hrs now and still operates like new. (due to it being book serviced on the hour since new.) The transmissions take a little getting used to but provides a lot of extra versatility. If this one is 1986 then it is probably before Case fitted modulation which allows the trans to be shifted under load, so you need to only shift the trans when the throttle is off, including when steering with the individual track speed controls. The dry brakes can give some trouble as well and if not working will possibly require all parts replaced to work correctly. (they work fine when working) If the track have been re-barred and the bar is worn out I would check the whole undercarriage for wear a it will more than likely need replacing as well and can be expensive. I would suggest you need the correct plates if you are doing steep work since with a dozer the tracks are your only means of moving, (loaders and excavators can use the bucket for assistance). Good luck. The 450C is the easiest of the Case 450 series to service with most filters etc easily accessed.

  7. #7707pc502012-01-11 22:31

    I bought it for 12750. Dozer is in good shape. Brought a mechanic to check it out, all checked out fine. A few things need some attention, track rollers worn out, and tracks are kind of sloppy, but other then that all looked good. Probably put in new rollers, and hopefully find replacement chairs for the tracks, weld on new bars where the old rebar is and go to work. Thanks

  8. #8thebaz2012-01-12 02:53

    Get someone who knows what they are looking at to full appraise the undercarriage. If the tracks are sloppy, you may still have problems if you only do the rollers and you will start a bad wear pattern on the rollers if you don't replace your chains at the same time. Another thing to do is reco the track adjusters as these often fail when they have been adjusted out and the with new tracks are retracted to where the now rusty piston tears out the seals. If you get her up to spec you will have a great machine there. All the best.