Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

863 bobcat, oiled cooled over heating

mrgreen ยท 2013-02-27 19:54

my 863 bobcat runs about 30 min. utill it gets too hot new belt and pully no help took to dealer new headgasket no help new oil pump and ???? worked for a little while now doing the same thing again. its like oil not circulating proper, half oil cooler is real hot, other half real cold...like motor is pushing oil out of both ports, and meeting in middle of cooler and not circulating please please help...863 oiled cooled bobcat...

Replies17
  1. #1Bobcatdan2013-02-27 20:09

    Pull your dipstick out. The old style had three ribs that would break off. The deutz has three thremostats that these plastic chunks will plug. Pull them out, clean them and you should be good. Deutz normally run cold if anything so as long as the fan works and the cooler is clear, this is where I would look.

  2. #2mrgreen2013-02-27 20:34

    THANK YOU SO MUCH DAN... do these thremostats ever go bad, or weak are they just as easy to put back in as they will be to pull out??? thanks again i all over it...

  3. #3mrgreen2013-02-28 16:34

    that didnt seem to work,Dan it seems like oil is going backwards compared to arrows on motor block??? whats next???

  4. #4rgs9442013-04-10 16:58

    Did this ever get resolved

  5. #5boccicat2013-12-17 16:43

    I'm having the same problems - pulled coolers - flushed both and change thermo sensor. Still gets hot and shuts down??

  6. #6pajibson2014-02-05 09:02

    I've gotta go look at one for the same problem tonight. I'll update with any findings.

  7. #7pajibson2014-02-12 11:53

    Ok so mine is similar 'cept different. originally called to look at the 863 for an oil pressure warning and shut down. Told them to replace the oil pressure sensor and call me back if that didn't work. It didnt, but the noticed if they leave it unplugged they can operate it except now it over heats. I put a mechanical pressure gauge on it and had roughly 35 PSI. Temps here in metro detroit have been on the chilly side(single and - numbers) the oil cooler was @ about 30*F with the engine getting so hot it went into shutdown. Other thing I noticed is the alternator is charging almost 17V. So what I see is three different problems, an issue with the oil pressure monitoring circuit, the damn thing is overheating in freezing temps, and the overcharging. Now, how are these all related, if they are all related? Or is this a case of 3 different issues manifesting all at once? I did find an archived thread on here that kind of touched on the overheating (of course now I cant find it again) but it boiled down to you have to block off airflow through the oil cooler in these lower temps. I told the owner that and he said he has always run this in winter and never had to do that before. So thats where I am at with this one. Anybody have any advice?:Banghead

  8. #8crewchief8882014-02-15 18:34

    off the top of my head i cant remember what plug is what, but i'd removed all the allen plugs on the flywheel end of the engine, pull the oil pressure relief, and thermostat, clean everything, make sure the valave slide in the bore easily reassemble, and test again. FWIW some of the duetz engines that bobcat has used are over 15 years old now, infrequent maintainance, high hours and old age are starting to take it's toll on them. dont hold me to this, but i believe the oil pressure regulator valve faces horizontally., thermostat faces up :drinkup

  9. #9pajibson2014-02-18 18:54

    If I get to work on this machine again I'll post any new findings. I would like to be able to post some of resolution but this company does have an in house mechanic that they have doing the actual work. So I might not hear back from them till the next time he can't figure some thing out.

  10. #10Tom Stephenson2022-12-24 17:22

    pajibson. I know this from 8 yrs ago but did you ever figure out the over heating issues on your 863? I have an 863 and it over heats and its -20C outside. Ive checked all the possibilities. Rads are clean, fan is moving air, lots of oil in sump, cleaned the passages thats behind those allen bolts. Looking for ideas or info Tks

  11. #11Simon C2022-12-25 22:29

    Could you have a collapsed hydraulic hose that is stopping the oil from flowing properly. That could overheat the oil. Just something to consider, as it is hard to tell a collapsed hose internally versus a kinked one or squeezed one. Just some easiier things to check. Simon C

  12. #12Tinkerer2022-12-26 10:15

    pajibson hasn't logged on since last November. I doubt he will see your question. Send him a private message. HEF will generate an email and send it to him. There is a chance he won't get it or respond to it.

  13. #13Tom Stephenson2022-12-26 12:20

    Yes I have thought of that. The hose that leads from engine throu rads gets hot but exit hose is still cold. I have thought of a collapsed exit hose. But here is something that happened today. Its -13c and Im plowing snow. The heat gauge gets into red after 3/4 of an hour so I stop to let cool down. Exit hose from rads are cold. Gauge reads in green so continue plowing snow. Watch gauge and it starts to stay in green. Plow for half hour then quit. Checked the hose and exit hose from rads is hot. So why all of a sudden does the oil start to flow throu the rads and back to engine? I would think if hose is collapsed that it wouldnt let any throu. Im running 15W40 oil and wondering if oil gets to thick in rad that it wont flow when it gets to cold?

  14. #14Nige2022-12-26 12:28

    The general opinion from people in your neck of the woods is to use something like an 0W20 or 0W30 for engine oil to get the cold start and flow characteristics. 15W40 would be considered as an oil for temperate/sub-tropical climates in my experience. From another thread.........

  15. #1592U 34062022-12-26 12:38

    The only engine oil that was available off the bulk reel at the dealer location I was at was 0W-40. If my memory is correct it covered pretty much the same temperature range for summer operation as 15W-40 but offered a much lower winter temperature limit.

  16. #16Tom Stephenson2022-12-26 12:47

    Thanks for the info. Was considering 5W40 but will see whats is available from my oil dealer. My bobcat sits in a warm shop when not being used so not to worried about cold starts but the lighter oil will be better for working in the cold.

  17. #17Nige2022-12-26 12:47

    Agreed. The only difference between 0W40 & 15W40 is the difference between a viscosity of around 20cSt for the 0W20 and around 5 times higher @ around 120cSt for the 15W40 at the lower measurement point of 40DegC. At the higher measurement point of 100DegC the viscosity of both oils would be the same, somewhere around 14-15cSt Sorry I forgot on the quotation I posted was regarding hydraulic oil but the same general principle for cold starting would still apply.