Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

89 case 680k won’t move

Thejdb ยท 2023-10-09 13:52

I'm a newbie and just purchased a 89 case 680k. Got it home and the clutch pressure light is on and it won't move. Where should I start to fix this problem?

Replies13
  1. #1Acecadet2023-10-09 16:51

    Might want to check transmission fluid level first. If that is not the problem then I would pull the suction screen out of the bottom of the trans and inspect for clogging.

  2. #2joe--h2023-10-09 19:09

    I'd start by calling the guy you bought it from. Escalate as necessary. Joe H

  3. #3Thejdb2023-10-09 19:18

    Transmission fluid level is good. I'll look into pulling the suction screen. Trying to find a manual for it.

  4. #4Thejdb2023-10-09 19:20

    I've contacted him, he's baffled saying he didn't have issues. I transported it 7hr which cost me a lot. If it's not an easy fix I'll be taking it back if he'll give me my money back.

  5. #5Tinkerer2023-10-09 22:02

    The suction screen is is in the bottom LH side in the rear of the torque convertor housing. There is a spin on filter on the charging pump. The pump maybe broken. After cleaning the screen, I would suggest removing the transmission filter and cut it open. Unfold the pleats in the media and look for anything that may be in it. If you decide to keep the machine send me your email address in a private conversation and I can give you the service manual. You will also need the Operators Manual. Things like changing fluids and filters are covered in it, NOT the service manual.

  6. #6Thejdb2023-10-30 21:15

    Cleaned the suction screen, drained the transmission, and filled it. The light went off and it would move. Next day started out up clutch pressure light was on again and it won't move. Suction screen is ok. I don't think the clutch charge pump is able to stuck through the tube to the suction screen. The transmission is full and when I took the suction screen out not alot of oil came out. Idk but getting really frustrated.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-10-31 00:48

    Are there any seals on the tube that could need replacing?

  8. #8alrman2023-10-31 03:26

    There should be an airline going to a clutch cut-out mechanism on the transmission control valve. It could be contaminated with water/rust - making the cut-out operation sticky & keeping it in neutral.

  9. #9Thejdb2023-11-08 11:47

    Was moving it using the hoe & bouncing around a bit, didn't realize it was in forward as it hasn't worked. All of the sudden clutch pressure light was off again and started to move forward. I turned it off. Turned around started it up and no pressure again. I took the clutch pressure sensor off, hooked up a gauge... zero pressure... no flow at all even just left the house connected and no oil shot out. Very confused. If the clutch cutout was sticking should still have pressure. If the charge pump was shot how did it just build pressure again. If the pressure relief valve was stuck open I'd still think oil would shoot out the pressure sensor port. Idk but it's cold out and I'm frustrated.

  10. #10alrman2023-11-08 15:18

    Try to keep it simple. You will need to remove the neutralizer valve & dismantle it to see if it is clean & free to operate. It is a common cause for what you are describing.

  11. #11Thejdb2023-11-15 13:32

    Took the clutch cut out apart and the valve was moving fine. The charge pump isn't pulling any oil through the suction screen. Took the filter off the charge pump and some oil was there but foamy. Took the charge pump off, can't dibs anywhere to test it, but when I filled it with oil and hand turned it, pressure was building but looks to be aeration of the oil by the pump?

  12. #12Thejdb2023-11-15 17:30

    Called around today and can't find anyone to bench test the charge pump, but also can't find/order a new one. Told case doesn't support this machine any more. Now what?

  13. #13Acecadet2023-11-15 18:34

    I believe that is a Clark 18000 series transmission. Try sourcing a pump that way