Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

91 D4H II

91D4H · 2026-03-21 17:42

Hello, I’m new to this forum, I’ve tried searching D4H to see if I can scan through all the posts but can’t seem to get it to work. Says the keywords are too small? Any advice here would be great. I was able to get a 1991 D4H Series II as part of a deal and was told it has 36xx original hours and the hour meter works. Upon getting the unit I noticed that the fault light is blinking and the bottom left light on the EMS panel is flashing. I also noticed a lot of exhaust coming out of the front of the dozer. Waiting on my shop manual to come in and excited to have the unit. My first dozer any advice on what you’d check / do first would be awesome.

Replies9
  1. #1HeavyMetalRepair2026-03-21 18:52

    Nice machine! Looks like hydraulic oil temp light. I would have to verify with serial number but probably something simple like a rat chewed through wire or bad temp sender.

  2. #2HeavyMetalRepair2026-03-21 18:58

    As far as what to do first I would drop all the belly pans, clean it, and give it a good inspection. Check service history, if you can’t find any(dates or hours on filters/components) service it all. If you’re removing filters, may as well cut them open for an inspection.

  3. #3Nige2026-03-21 19:30

    Post some better photos of the undercarriage for opinions on whether or not the meter hours may be close to reality. Just because the hour meter is working now does not necessarily mean it might not have been working for a who-knows-how-long period of time in the past. As mentioned above, the first thing it appears to need is a good clean, especially the radiator, which will require the lower guards to be removed. Careful, they will be full of dirt and heavier than you think. The warning light is for high hydraulic temperature. If that was with the machine cold then it's most likely an electrical fault which will require some testing using the appropriate electrical schematic. First thing on your list ought to be get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual. Need the machine Serial Number to identify the correct one.

  4. #4Nige2026-03-21 22:01

    Missed it in your OP. Where are you getting the shop manual from.? Not Jensales or Finney I hope.

  5. #591D4H2026-03-21 22:09

    Wow this website rocks. Thanks for all this solid information so fast. I’ve got a manual coming in and should getting the service records for it soon. I’m told even if they changed a lightbulb they documented it. Hoping this is accurate. I’ll take more photos of the undercarriage. I’ll grab the SNs as well! Super excited to have this thing and look forward to what we can do with it. To this point I’ve done everything I needed around my property with a 1973 F600 grain truck converted to flatish bed dump truck and a mini kubota excavator.

  6. #691D4H2026-03-21 22:10

    Supposed to be getting it from the previous owner. If they can’t come up with it is there a website you’d recommend purchasing?

  7. #791D4H2026-03-21 22:11

    The machine is cold when the light is on so I’ll look for the fault when I get the schematic

  8. #8Nige2026-03-21 22:12

    Wait until you get it before making any decisions would be my advice. It may well be a genuine factory one. If it is then it will be well worth having. There should be a copy of the electrical schematic in the service manual provided it is complete. If not I can probably find a pdf version with the machine Serial Number.

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-03-21 22:18

    Track looks a little tight. If the smoke is mostly when starting is probably just coming from the space between the muffler and hood extension. The fan is sucking it in faster than the exhaust is flowing. Will be worse if it doesn't start right away. Could be a loose fitting or cracked muffler too. My 931B sometimes blows black smoke out the rad.