I have notice a moaning sound that i think could be comming from the tourque converter posibly? It occurs when shifting into forwards or reverse. The sound is constant when left in forward or reverse and only stops when shifted into neutral. It sounds like something starving for fluid. I did change the large spin on filter on the tourque converter last fall so i don't think that is an issue. My transaxle is a serries 3. I am reading the transaxle when hot with the engine stopped for a minute or so to let the fluid settle and it reads good. If its checked hot and running then it reads very low. If checked cold and not running then reads too high. Anybody know for sure how these are supose to be read?? I am not even sure if this is the problem as the moaning sounds to be comming from under the steering collum area. Hydraulic fluid levels is also fine, not and issue i don't think. I have read about the shuttle fluid and screens theat plug in some older backhoes not sure if this applies to mine 92 sk or not? I can't see any dipstick or anything down arround the tourque converter to check any fluid level down there. Any input would be apreciated.
redneck1, you are checking the oil level correctly. I think I know the noise you are describing, some machines seem to make it more than others. I would not worry about it too much. It is oil going through valves & fittings. Just be sure the hose clamps on the transmission suction line are done up tightly, at the transaxle & the convertor. I generally describe it more as a buzzing noise, than a moan........ hope it is the same thing we are talking about.
I hope that's all it is too. It just started making the noise recently and has not done it before. It doesn't efect the operation or power of the machine. Just wanted to make sure I was checking the fluid levels correctly. Also wanted to make sure that there is no power shuttle fluid some place that is runing low.