Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford backhoe

Hendo5 ยท 2012-05-20 00:17

I have a ford 4500 backhoe with shuttle shift what I would like to know is how much pressure does the transmission puts out into the oil lines that go to the radiator oil cooler,I am looking at bypassing the radiator oil cooler and mount a transmission cooler behind the front grill, the backhoe own radiator oil cooler is buggard and has been removed from the bottom radiator tank that's if i can find one to handle the pressure a person told me they run at 180 to 240 psi last time he told me something it was wrong any help would be great thanks

Replies2
  1. #1oldseabee2012-05-20 08:42

    I may be wrong, but any transmission cooler that I have seen gets return to tank oil from the valve so the only pressure you see is the resistance in the lines and the cooler itself, and possibley the lube system in the transmission. The 180 to 240 PSI sounds more like clutch pressure which has nothing to do with the cooler.

  2. #2oldseabee2012-05-20 08:55

    I checked on my 555A and cooler back pressure with the oil at 140 deg. F and 2100 RPM is 50-70 PSI. you would have to check with Ford to see what your should be, but I would think that it would be in that range. Mine does feed back to the lube circuit in the transmission which adds some pressure.