Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

931 cat track loader

Bobby Jacobs ยท 2023-05-29 11:02

Sn# 78U4015 Can Anyone tell me what year model it is. I'm having trouble with steering clutch on right side. Adjusted brake band. After about 1 hour of operation it starts to fade out.

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2023-05-29 12:19

    If you are looking for parts everything you need is right there in the Serial Number. That's how it works and it is nothing to do with model years. Your machine was built on 9th june 1978 though. Do you have a Parts Manual.? With a machine of that age you really need one. The online info is somewhat sketchy at times. For your machine the Publication Reference is SEBP1190 which covers machines with S/N 79U3914-Up. Here's a brand-new genuine OEM one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/311900016441 Confused. If you were having steering clutch problems why would you be adjusting the brake.? Did you inspect/adjust/lubricate the linkages before adjusting the brake.? If you don't have a service manual you are welcome to the procedures from it if you want them.

  2. #2Bobby Jacobs2023-05-29 14:56

    I pulled the hole top plate. On right side. Inspected everything before adjusting brake. It was way to loose. Pulled it up tight. Backed it off 1.5 turns. Also adjusted the one under the rear.

  3. #3Bobby Jacobs2023-05-29 15:02

    Even checked to make sure the track was kicking out of gear when brake was applied. I should be more clear, you loose the ability to steer to the right. Only after about hour of operation.

  4. #4Nige2023-05-29 21:29

    Have you checked the setup/adjustment of the steering clutch on that side.?

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-05-30 15:21

    Your machine is a straight 931 and check the valves for the steering clutches. They are known to have some issues after they get some hours.

  6. #6Bobby Jacobs2023-05-30 16:16

    You talking about the one on the pedal itself. Looks to be weeping a little. Got the brakes adjusted up and working properly. Just need to work it for awhile. Just started raining about the time I finished up.

  7. #7Bobby Jacobs2023-05-30 16:19

    Yes thank you for the diagrams. After I did all the adjustments everything worked as it should.. Just need to run it for awhile and see. It's raining now and been raining for a week.

  8. #8Nige2023-05-30 16:27

    Good to hear that you got it working OK. I would suggest that you really ought to investigate getting hold of a Parts Manual (I already linked that in Post #2) and also a Service Manual. The Publication Reference of the Service Manual is REG01387. Here's a used one on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/374099778486 But here's the catch - at $299 it's the same price as a brand-new one in paper form.....!! You can get the same thing on CD for $208 from HERE

  9. #9Bobby Jacobs2023-05-30 18:26

    Carter cat in norton va. Is getting me both books. 285 for both. Thanks.

  10. #10Nige2023-05-30 19:08

    You got a good deal there.

  11. #11Bobby Jacobs2023-05-30 21:11

    Yeah, I have been one of there customer for 35 years. Bought all my truck parts there.

  12. #12Nige2023-05-30 22:11

    It's nice to know that customer loyalty, in both directions, still exists.

  13. #13Welder Dave2023-05-30 22:23

    As long as the shop treats you right. One shop I spent a fair chunk of money at got rid of most of the long term employee's and had a new service manager. After requiring me to pay in advance when they had my parts and then not even having it ready the next day when I went to pick it up they lost my business. Also at the same time one of the parts guys was acting like I was wasting his time because I asked the difference between 2 similar hyd. oil filters. There was a new part number listed for my machine and I was wondering what the difference was. They're the distributor and should be able to find out easier than I can even if it means calling the manufacturer. I took the newer number and kind of by fluke discovered it's a 5 micron and the old number was a 10 micron. A dealer should have easily been able to tell me that. Too bad the parts guy I usually deal with was busy but I won't go back there unless I absolutely have to.