Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 941 need advice

cfiedler1973 · 2023-05-29 08:59

I have a chance to buy a 941. $5,000. The own say he thinks the bearing on the bevel gear is going out. What it does is makes a growling noise going forward. He stops then goes backwards it goes away. My real question is is the bevel gear , steering clutches , and final drives something that a person can do at home . Just so you know I did serve a machine building apprenticeship. Also worked in brass mill manufacturing. Now at a power plant.

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2023-05-29 10:15

    I guess the answer (or an answer) is that "it depends"....... Depends on you having a parts manual, service manual, lifting equipment, probably special tools, a really good toolbox, etc, etc. Also it would be a good idea to have somewhere under cover to work on it. And that is before getting to the subject of parts availability. Are you aware that same machine 80H298 was owned by another HEF member at one time.? I have no idea who owns it now.

  2. #2cfiedler19732023-05-29 11:16

    No I did not know that. How did you find that. The man is from Texas. It’s in Missouri. I farm small scale anymore. I have means to pick up about 3-4 tons. I’m just wondering how many special tools are needed. Extremely large press at work.

  3. #3Nige2023-05-29 11:38

    A good memory...... RH Track Adjustment on 941 Loader 80H 298? As mentioned earlier on another post, the RH track seems to be at the end of the adjustment, as it will not move any further. Then when I got looking in the parts book it looks like the yoke for the front idler seems very different on the loader than what is shown in parts book. Maybe someone... HeavyEquipmentForums I stand to be corrected but I think a large portable press of the order of 50 tons capacity is required to pull and reinstall the sprocket.

  4. #4cfiedler19732023-05-29 11:48

    If that’s the worst . That’s not too bad but like you said parts. Any aftermarket parts places that are the go to spots. Thank you for your help. Also tracks are in great shape probably 70%

  5. #5Nige2023-05-29 11:51

    If you go for it I would strongly suggest a Parts Manual should be your first buy. With that you get Part Numbers based on your specific Serial Number which makes your search so much easier. Offroad Equipment in Alcoa TN are a good source of both OEM & aftermarket parts for machines of that era - www.offroadeq.com/

  6. #6cfiedler19732023-05-29 12:10

    Thank you . I’m not new to wrenching but these machines are definitely different than the normal for me. It the size that I like . But I’m sure many say the bigger the better for sure just for strength and wear and tear. Most of what I’ll be clearing is about 16-18” trees. I’m guessing most would rather replace undercarriage versus going into the machine.

  7. #7cfiedler19732023-05-29 12:19
  8. #8Nige2023-05-29 12:32

    The Parts Manual for machines up to 80H3039 is Publication Reference UE070113. Here's one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/115518873678

  9. #9cfiedler19732023-05-29 15:22

    Thank you

  10. #10Dave Neubert2023-05-29 17:22

    pull your final drive level plugs and stick a magnet in there see if you get any metal if not you will need to pull the steering clutch and bevel gear assy. out and check the bearings. If the bevel gear is messed up you will also have to pull the transmission out and change the pinion gear too that is a big job that will require a means of lifting the heavy parts

  11. #11cfiedler19732023-05-29 18:10

    Ok do you think a tractor loader could lift the parts. It will pick up a 6 row corn head all steel. Way out in front with bucket on. I also have a small gantry crane but it’s only rated for 2 ton

  12. #12Dave Neubert2023-05-30 07:03

    yes either would work

  13. #13cfiedler19732023-05-30 13:12

    Thank you

  14. #14Dave Neubert2023-05-30 14:38

    You better get a service manual if you are going to tackle this bevel gear needs to be set up as well as pre load on bearings

  15. #15cfiedler19732023-05-30 17:00

    I think I’m going to pass. I don’t have the time right now and I’m not really needing another project to start a project. I just been looking for a smaller loader my thoughts are it may be better on the hillsides I have and bottom ground. If I ran it for a month and something happened it would be a different story.