Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hi. New Case operator with some questions!

digger70 ยท 2009-07-13 23:20

Hi. I am the 4th generation caretaker of a nonproft 25-acre cemetery in Clearfield, PA. I've been caretaker since September 1994 (long story). Anyway, the cemetery had an International 2050 Series A loader backhoe with a gas engine. I think the loader is the 2050 and the hoe was a different model number. We think it is a 1970, but not sure. I was getting ready to dig a grave a couple months ago in April and the hoe was running very noisily and shut off with a loud bang and wouldn't start up, it was a cracked piston. We just had the engine rebuilt a few years ago and it was estimated at $5000 to fix it now. Since we were approved for a grant, we just had someone else dig the graves and waited for the grant check. Last year, thanks to a local politician, we were approved for a small grant towards purchase of a backhoe and finally got the check last week. I was worried with all the cuts the governor is making that we wouldn't get the check. I always wanted to get a Case 580E with extendahoe and 4x4 but we had to settle for the 580B CK. The tires were badly worn so we exchanged them with the International's newer tires. The rims fit perfectly. It's a nice machine (needs some sanding & paint) and should have more power than the International since it is diesel, I'm told. I had been having alot of 'loss of power' issues with the International and the previous owner of the 580B was using it to dig out stumps and that was something that our International could not do. So now I have to relearn how to dig graves with this Case. The International had 4 levers for the hoe plus 2 extra for the outriggers and the Case has 3 levers for the hoe and 2 for the outriggers. One of the International levers was for moving the boom left/right and the Case, of course, has the pedals. The International also had 2 separate seats and it was a pain climbing up and down the outriggers to get in the hoe seat. I had special footpads welded over the cylinders a few years ago so I didn't have to slide down the cylinders when exiting. Not fun when they're wet! The Case does have a brake problem however. I am waiting for the mechanic to call me back and tell me when he can come look at it. The left rear tire will lock up for some unknown reason and the previous owner thinks it has to do with the brakes. I have to put it in reverse then forward and usually that unsticks the wheel but sometimes not. Usually I have to keep switching it back and forth to finally get it to go. The shifter is also messed up. It is supposed to be 'Up-forward / Middle-neutral / Down-reverse' but sometimes it goes forward when it is in the down position. And sometimes it goes reverse slowly in the middle position. I was told the left pedal is for the clutch but when I press it it acts like the brake and when I do press it down with my foot when shifting gears, the gears make the dreaded grinding noise. I'm getting someone to retrofit the 38" cemetery bucket from the International for the Case since it came with an 18" bucket. He's getting new pins and spacers for a tight fit. I haven't tried driving it up any of the hills in the cemetery yet but a fellow gravedigger who used to have a 580B said that he had to drive in reverse up hills because of the weight of the hoe. Does anyone have any suggestions as to adding weight to the front end to balance out the weight? My welder friend said he could weld some heavy steel to the axle or I could put calcium in the front tires. I thought the diesel engine plus the front bucket should provide enough weight. Any suggestions or pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt digger70

Replies17
  1. #1digger702009-07-13 23:23

    Forgot to add the photo.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2009-07-13 23:33

    All of my Case machines have been newer, starting with a super K, so I do not know as much about the B model. The balance for going up a hill can be solved by scooping some material into the front bucket before going up. Maybe if you had an old sod pile or something, then if you spilled a little it would be easy to clean up. Maybe some rock or a concrete block would do as well. That is the cheap fix. Also, when going up, be sure the rear boom is stowed all the way. That really affects the balance. The shifting problem may be as simple as a linkage adjustment, but it is hard to say for sure. For the brakes, Have your mechanic look, but I have solved locking problems sometimes on other machines by simply using them. Try driving a short ways while gently riding the brake, then see if it starts to work smoother. Sitting is hard on a machine. Things sometimes bind up a bit and do not work right till they are exercised. Good Luck Matt

  3. #3digger702009-07-13 23:37

    Thanks Jerry, that's an excellent idea about putting stuff in the front bucket to add weight! The hoe did sit alot as the previous owner didn't use it. We only get 2 graves a month if we're lucky but maybe I should just drive it around every couple days.

  4. #4willie592009-07-13 23:54

    Hello digger70, nice looking B ya got there. Your brake problem is probably either broken conical springs or worn brakes. It's typical on these type of Case brakes that have the balls that work on an incline to lock up in one direction and you have to reverse direction to pop it loose. It's kinda hard to explain in words how these brakes work. You need to go to the Case website and view the parts breakdown, www.casece.com . On the Parts and Service tab, click Parts Catalog. Click the Launch Parts Catalog link just above the video. Type in your model number. Then you have a choice between shuttle trans and hydrostat trans, sounds like you have a shuttle trans, select it. The brakes are shown in Powertrain, section 206 differential brakes. Now I'll let gggraham, goose, or phil tell you what you need to do.

  5. #5digger702009-07-14 00:09

    Thanks. I was also wondering if there's any way to make the emergency brake easier to engage. I keep getting a charleyhorse in my right side when I lean down to lock it in position with both hands. I wonder if it would be easier to put the tranny in neutral when I'm digging since I'll have the outriggers down. I realize easier is not always safer.

  6. #6Wolf2009-07-14 00:19

    Have fun with the new machine, Matt.

  7. #7Cmark2009-07-14 02:58

    Q. "Do you dig graves?" A. "Well, they're OK..."

  8. #8digger702009-07-14 18:10

    We got most of the rust sanded down today and most of it is primered. The local Tractor Supply didn't have any Case colors so I had to get New Holland Yellow oil based for $30. I was going to get Kubota Orange since orange is my favorite color. The 2 brakes that are on the right side: only the brake on the left can be pressed down and I can't budge the right brake. Anyone know how to loosen it up?

  9. #9coopers2009-07-14 18:14

    This is may favorite color that Case painted their hoes.

  10. #10Tinkerer2009-07-14 20:20

    Maybe I am wierd but I thought that part of diggers post is hilareous !!

  11. #11digger702009-07-14 21:11

    LOL Well there are a few cemeteries in my town and one gets most of the burials since it is a memorial park (which means it is all flat grass markers). Plus more people are being cremated these days and that is less money and doesn't require the backhoe.

  12. #12digger702009-07-15 21:17

    I got in touch with a retired heavy equipment mechanic and he came up tonight when I wasn't home and got the right brake pedal unseized. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what it's like. I also got most of the tractor painted this New Holland Yellow and wow is it bright. Someone could see it a mile away. I hope to get the rest painted tomorrow and I'll post the pics. I'll probably get kicked off the forums since it's not Case colored LOL.

  13. #13Tinkerer2009-07-15 21:28

    coopers; Is there a specific name or part number for that color ? Or is a blend of colors ? I have 2 gallons of Case Power Tan Yellow waiting to go on my 680. I'm not sure it will be the neat yellow/orange you have.

  14. #14coopers2009-07-16 09:44

    Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that. Sorry.

  15. #15digger702009-07-16 17:49

    here's what it looks like now

  16. #16troyharnish2010-11-01 16:22

    Wow! What a difference a little TLC and paint can make...

  17. #17mega2010-11-04 21:01

    same thought her i may be a little wierd too wife sez that color may be a little overkill sry she made me write that